Revo inshore IAR bearing?

Started by captscott, March 28, 2014, 01:46:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captscott

Hey guys I recently serviced and upgraded my 3 revo inshores using the tutorials that Alan and Killerbug were kind enough to post reels have fished great, greased carbon drags and reinforced kick levers have helped tremendously. I have run into a problem however, hooked a massive snook last week on one of them and that fish toasted the AR bearing. It now is a knuckle buster sometimes it catches and the drag engages, other times the reel handle goes backwards instead. Question is, is there any way to remove and replace the IAR bearing? These are the first generation revo inshores and unfortunately ABU has chosen not to make the new gen in left hand so I'm hoping I can get this reel back up and running. Thanks for any help!!!

alantani

bocabearings has replacement AR bearings. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Killerbug

Quote from: captscott on March 28, 2014, 01:46:05 AM
Hey guys I recently serviced and upgraded my 3 revo inshores using the tutorials that Alan and Killerbug were kind enough to post reels have fished great, greased carbon drags and reinforced kick levers have helped tremendously. I have run into a problem however, hooked a massive snook last week on one of them and that fish toasted the AR bearing. It now is a knuckle buster sometimes it catches and the drag engages, other times the reel handle goes backwards instead. Question is, is there any way to remove and replace the IAR bearing? These are the first generation revo inshores and unfortunately ABU has chosen not to make the new gen in left hand so I'm hoping I can get this reel back up and running. Thanks for any help!!!

If you reverse the IAR bearing, you have a lefty.
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

Ken_D

Hi, KB.....does the IAR brg in a Revo have an ID number, all same like the INA ones used in the Abu _round_ reels? I recall a post or two, somewhere here at AT's, where the iar came up, and I did not catch any dialogue if it had an ID number on it anywhere. Thx, KD.

captscott

OK thanks for the info guys!  Did some checking on the boca bearing website. I guess i need to figure out how to remove the AR bearing from the sideplate...remember this is one of the reels that is listed as a non-serviceable ARB.

If i'm able to remove it I guess I can try to figure out the size using Calipers? I don't have digital calipers...will i be able to get close on the size without digitals?

Good tip on flipping the bearing for a lefty, I should have clarified. I wish they still made this reel in a lefty because I have a friend that gets a deep discount on ABU products, I would probably pop for a new one.  Ive looked at the NaCl but it is just bigger than what I would like.  I don't need lots of line capacity just a good drag and strong ARB, where I fish if they run you're screwed because they are in the mangrove roots and break you off.

Killerbug

Quote from: Ken_D on April 02, 2014, 05:24:40 PM
Hi, KB.....does the IAR brg in a Revo have an ID number, all same like the INA ones used in the Abu _round_ reels? I recall a post or two, somewhere here at AT's, where the iar came up, and I did not catch any dialogue if it had an ID number on it anywhere. Thx, KD.

I have not noticed anything else, than the usual INA inscription. Actually I had an Revo STX open today, but I did not check that one out.  

@captscott

You will be fine with a basic caliper.

captscott

Thanks KB!

Do you recommend the sockets of different sizes and vise method for ARB removal on this reel? I saw a thread here about the round reels that specified this method for removal of the ARB.

Sorry for so many questions, just need a nudge in the right direction.

Killerbug

Quote from: captscott on April 04, 2014, 12:52:27 PM
Thanks KB!

Do you recommend the sockets of different sizes and vise method for ARB removal on this reel? I saw a thread here about the round reels that specified this method for removal of the ARB.

Sorry for so many questions, just need a nudge in the right direction.

Hi,

Yes thats the way to go.

Killerbug

Quote from: Ken_D on April 02, 2014, 05:24:40 PM

Hi Ken,

Just had another STX open today, wrote down the inscription on the roller bearing. This INA was stamped, F-223251

http://www.noc.ua/en/online-catalog-bearings/itemdescriptionopen.html?bearing=12437740167b466e&title=F-223251&key=418

Ken_D

Thanks, KB....that means, then, that the IAR in the Revo is the same one as used in the 4-5-6-kalex-bcx round reels. Good to know, if and when I get a Revo to take a look at.
(not sold locally here) Cheers, KD.   

Killerbug

Quote from: Ken_D on April 10, 2014, 07:11:03 PM
Thanks, KB....that means, then, that the IAR in the Revo is the same one as used in the 4-5-6-kalex-bcx round reels. Good to know, if and when I get a Revo to take a look at.
(not sold locally here) Cheers, KD.   

It seems by googling the number, that this clutch bearing are fitted in several ABU's. I have tried to find it by INA, but they do not seem to
have the 10x14x8 size for retail in their assortment.