Alternating dog design for the 114h

Started by gstours, March 28, 2014, 04:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Hello out there, these are exiting times for those who are trying to improve their reels, and with the advent of braid line people are fishing heavier with smaller reels than ever before.  And understandably so.  Its way more fun to fish with the smallest reel that you can get away with, thats my thoughts.  With the advent of putting the dogs on the bridge plate this post may seem mundane but its easy to do, just start with a longer dog for one of the pair.  As I made my own they dont have part numbers but I,m giving you a starting length.  It works for me....
  So here are some pictures of how I did an alternating dog application to the 6/0 Senator side  plate.
  This the factory position with a sst replacement part and a titanium leaf spring (.025) both dogs are  (.120)
this is the position of the new dog engaged... about halfway between the cogs.
the new dog center to end length is .820''
the factory location dog is  .725" in length.
I hope this helps somebody out there, it won't help the fish any, but the alternating click is very rewarding to the ears, and removes a lot of the gear slop.......Tell me what you think, gstours..................

gstours

Sorry folks I duplicated a picture that was to show the new second do in the engaged position. so here it is, hope you can make sense of it.
    thanks  gstours.

Alto Mare

Gary, you're doing some nice work with those dogs, thanks for the ideas. May I ask where you get your titanium springs from? Bryan sent me (3) stainless steel springs a while back, I asked for more a few times, but never heard back :-\ .
Also, can you show the bit that you used for the new dog ? Thanks for sharing.
Sal  
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

I don't understand the reasoning that alternating dogs increase strength. When using alternating dogs only one dog is taking the entire load exerted on the reel. If it fails then you have a backup alternating dog but now you are still putting the full force of the load on one dog.

If both dogs are engaged at the same time and share the load equally then you have a stronger reel.

basto

Quote from: Newell Nut on March 28, 2014, 11:09:13 AM
I don't understand the reasoning that alternating dogs increase strength. When using alternating dogs only one dog is taking the entire load exerted on the reel. If it fails then you have a backup alternating dog but now you are still putting the full force of the load on one dog.

If both dogs are engaged at the same time and share the load equally then you have a stronger reel.

I think it is more about reducing reverse lag time. If you had 3 dogs that are not synchronised you would almost have instant anti reverse. I think Accurate have a reel with 3 dogs.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Alto Mare

We need Alan to get us the stainless sleeves with double the teeth, that would take care of it. Two dogs would be plenty and they wouldn't need to be alternating.
The reel would be much stronger having dogs  engaging at the same time.
The teeth on the ratchet could be increased on other reels as well, not just the 114H.
Good luck with that reel Basto, if you need anything, just let me know.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sundaytrucka

Great work GStours.

That would be very cool if we could get added teeth to the gear sleeves; I have never been bothered by "handle slop" as some are, but would be cool.

I am a fan of simultaneous engaging dogs, not putting down alternating dogs in anyway, alternating dogs seem to be viable for removing some handle slop and as a backup dog process, but would not add extra anti-reverse strength in a high drag situation.

I have never understood people's perception of handle slop being a negative issue, they never represent a situation where handle slop has caused an issue with catching and landing a fish...other then, "high-end reels have instant anti-reverse, so I have to want to need that, right?" But that is an argument for another thread.

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 30, 2014, 09:18:37 PM
We need Alan to get us the stainless sleeves with double the teeth, that would take care of it. Two dogs would be plenty and they wouldn't need to be alternating.
The reel would be much stronger having dogs  engaging at the same time.
The teeth on the ratchet could be increased on other reels as well, not just the 114H.
Good luck with that reel Basto, if you need anything, just let me know.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

basto

Would be nice to just slip on a different ratchet over the gear sleeve, a la Baja special.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

BMITCH

Quote from: basto on March 30, 2014, 09:08:19 PM
Quote from: Newell Nut on March 28, 2014, 11:09:13 AM

I think it is more about reducing reverse lag time. If you had 3 dogs that are not synchronised you would almost have instant anti reverse. I think Accurate have a reel with 3 dogs.

Here ya go.

And maybe when I get some time :-\

luck is the residue of design.

Rothmar2

Alto Mare

It would be nice if we could get double the teeth on the sleeve

two dogs might do it

BMITCH

I agree Sal. That's why I stopped grinding up side plates. In the hopes that someone comes up with a better gear sleeve. I've also found that the SS sleeve that Alan has is not 100% equal in spacing. I know I'm just being finicky and I'm very greatful for what we do have to date.
luck is the residue of design.