Large syringe to apply grease instead of grease gun - anyone tried it?

Started by SirMixALot, March 28, 2014, 05:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirMixALot

Hey all!  I've been checking out all the bad @ss topics here and I'm trying to improve my setup for servicing my reels. I bought a cheapo 3 oz mini grease gun from harbor freight and i'm still  trying to find yamaha marine grease locally (l.a/o.c) to no avail. So... I do a search for who knows what and these pre packed grease syringes come up.  Question is would it be practical to use a large syringe rather that a grease gun? I was thinking of using the 10 oz squeeze tubes of yamaha since I only do my own reels and can sacrifice the extra 4 oz in the name of convenience.  Would the rubber seals(?) hold up to the grease or am I just cookoo? Thanks in advance!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

I've used them on cars. Lee's rite your palm gets sore trying to push out the grease but it sure puts it exactly where you want it.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

harryk3616

home depot has small tubes of grease for the guns.  i use a large turkey baster syringe to grease tight spots, with the penn blue grease it is a little tuff to push out.

Pro Reel

Most pharmacies will give you a plastic syringe that's for administering liquid medicines to children. It has about a 1/16 hole in the end. I use them for grease for tight spots and for applying a small ribbon of grease to gear teeth. I just pull the end out and use a flat object to scoop grease out of one container and pack it into the syringe.

SirMixALot

Looks like I'm gonna give it a try. Thanks for the feedback guys. Anyone know what size(cc) syringe works best?

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: SirMixALot on March 28, 2014, 04:10:19 PM
Looks like I'm gonna give it a try. Thanks for the feedback guys. Anyone know what size(cc) syringe works best?

one with a hole, at least 1/8 of inch, large enough so it will be easier to push the grease out

Shark Hunter

I use one as a final step to grease around the main gear in bigger Senators. The steel gears need grease and this give me some piece of mind that there is plenty around the pinion and main gear. I just draw it out of a 1 pound tub of penn blue. It works good. Its in between the star and the handle in this pic.

Life is Good!

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Frank

Another thing to keep in mind is the warmer the grease is the better it will flow.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

2 G,s

SirMixALot

Tubular. Gonna hit Home Depot on the way home from work then.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SirMixALot

That round thing you can see through the clouds once a year  ;D

Porthos

For laying a finer bead of grease, I've put model glue tips on the ones (1 tbsp) used for children's liquid medications. Temperature affects ease of use.