Newell 646 4.2 Tiburon Upgrade

Started by Newell Nut, March 29, 2014, 02:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

I don't take a lot of pictures when I work but today I decided to take a little extra time. I wanted to build a special reel for Hawaii but it will work quite well for halibut, grouper or any big fish really. I started with a mint condition S646 4.2 and cleaned all the parts of grease and it all appears in new condition.

The next step was to lay out all the new parts which include a 7 + 1 stack arrangement. I start by removing the sharp edge that commonly exist on the upper side of the dog sprocket which can cut into a CF. I prefer the CF to ride on a smooth surface. I cut a .9mm CF the OD of a 300 series washer since it will compress slightly and the extra OD rides nice under the gear. When I do a 7 stack in the gear I use a combination of .6mm and .5mm in order to end up with a heavy washer on top and perfectly flush with the gear. Usually take 3 of the .6mm and 4 of the .5mm.
I replaced the original thin 3-18 washer with a thicker 3-18 Keta special which allows for plenty of space for the drag star and eliminate the need of the outside handle Belleville that is a worthless spacer. Between the star and handle I use a thicker 3-16 Keta special which allows for a tight handle nut without the washer bending.
For the handle I have a Keta Krank to my specs. I have found that when fighting a heavy fish the ones with the cute cutouts will bend. Mine don't bend. To the Keta Krank I add an Alantani 3/0 grip.

You can see that I used a Tiburon 646 frame and spool and I chose silver to go with the black sides and SS rings. The bearings were still like new and the spool spins really fast and for about a minute with no line.

BMITCH

Beautiful reel Dwight! Nice job. I really like the silver Tib parts on the Newell's. Thanks for the pics.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: BMITCH on March 29, 2014, 05:22:45 PM
Beautiful reel Dwight! Nice job. I really like the silver Tib parts on the Newell's. Thanks for the pics.
Bob

x2  yes nothing like silver and black...

Bryan Young

That's just beautiful...too beautiful...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Hamachi

X2! Now if they only made a frame for a 641.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Newell Nut

For my personal use I have tried hard to get Rich to make 631 frames but no luck unless he gets an order for 40.

Hamachi

631 would be fine, need a spool too! 38 more to go!
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Alto Mare

Nice job buddy, silver does look great with black. That handle also looks sharp, thanks for sharing Dwight ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

Thanks Sal, my handles are designed to withstand the power of a mason's hands. ;D

erikpowell

Wow, that's a beauty. Very nice Dwight.
I'm not that familiar with Newell's... I'd love to have one though...how are you going to spool it?

Caranx

Very nice reel there.
Can't get anymore bulletproof than that.
Does Keta make those cranks to your specs?
Thanks for the post Newell Nut.

bonez808

Nice 646!!! I wish they made 631 frame and spools too!! I definitely would be for a few those.

Tunacious

Quote from: bonez808 on May 07, 2014, 10:12:10 PM
Nice 646!!! I wish they made 631 frame and spools too!! I definitely would be for a few those.

Where were you a couple months back?  :)

Newell Nut and I tried to get Tiburon to make 631 frames but there wasn't enough interest to make it worth it for them. We're not giving up. Would you be interested in the stock size 631 or something more narrow...like 2 inches wide rather than the stock 2 7/16 ?

bonez808

I had actually put my request directly to tiburon. I would like the stock 631 specs. If there's any movement on this let me know. I here off and on depends on my work schedule. If you want hit me up and I'll give my email for easier communication.