Gulf State Pier, Orange Beach, AL Saturday 03/29

Started by ChileRelleno, March 30, 2014, 12:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

I'm just going to copy-n-paste my pier report here.

Hola mi amigos!

Yeah man, it was another 'Chew Down' on the pier today... Welcome to the sheepshead channel, all sheepshead, all the time.
If you had live shrimp, it was pretty much guaranteed, "Fish on!"
Keeping them on was a different story, we lost a lot of fish and fed a lot of shrimp to hungry fish.
But the fish were consistently coming over the railing around the whole octi, and sheeps blood spattered the deck everywhere.
I didn't see anything else besides a Gafftop, a Hardhead and a tiny Pinfish come on deck.

When we got there about 10am, the cleaning tables were already covered in blood-n-guts, roe and scales, saw JHL and some others cleaning their catches.
Walked onto the octi, and there were literally piles of fish next to carts as people just tossed them towards their coolers.
It was fast, chaotic and a helluva lot of fun!  Bent rods, drags squealing, people cussing and lots of laughter.
People were helping each other net fish and stay untangled, plenty of doubles in nets came over the railing.
Lots of familiar faces and good company...  I love the general vibe on this pier!

It was crowded, but not too bad, the weather forecast seemed to have kept some folks away.
Heck, we almost stayed home, glad we didn't, as it was a beautiful day.
Mild breezes kept the temp cool and comfortable, scattered clous but no rain, plenty of sunshine.
The water was pretty clouded and not much current to speak of.

My son and I took home fourteen fat sheepies!

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

floating doc

Central Florida

ChileRelleno

Quote from: floating doc on March 30, 2014, 01:03:31 AM
Wow! That's some really good eating!
Yes'sir, really fine eats.

Money Shot

Blackened Sheepshead over Extra Hot Rotel, sprinkled with Ghost Pepper powder.
Protection was necessary to keep this fish from randomly killing an innocent bystander.

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Good idea bringing protection....... I hate it when my wife's meatloaf starts making eyes at her!

Newell Nut

That is some fine eating that you caught there.