Ambassadeurs Thumb Bar replacement

Started by Prefessa, March 30, 2014, 03:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prefessa

Guys:

I know this is a very rare occurance but.... If someone were to break a thumb bar on a 46,56, or 6600 style reel is there any other fix other than replacing the entire frame??

I have a vintage 4600 and I always wondered about a plastic part like that that receives very heavy usage!

Mine is an 89 series so they use hard plastic wondering if it would get brittle over time.

Tile

The plastic thumb bar can be replaced individually - no need to replace the entire frame.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Bryan Young

You can replace the thumb bar but I have only found a new part comes with the frame.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ken_D

Quote from: Tile on March 30, 2014, 04:06:59 PM
The plastic thumb bar can be replaced individually - no need to replace the entire frame.

Interesting. Shimano, yes, but Abu? The thumb bar is integral to one of the frame posts, molded all the way around it, curious to learn your fix.   Mine is converting the reel to a normal push button operator, by cutting off the thumb bar off the frame post, locating the 20671 "trigger" (rh reel) and filing a slot in the side plate for same.

The sport is given the option of the above overnight fix, and less than half the cost of a 60.00 new thumb bar frame, or waiting the month+ for the new frame to arrive, if the warranty center does not have one in stock.

A diy owner can do this in short order for free, and just locate the trigger, and file the slot.

Tile

The top thumb bar can be replaced easily but the decoupling thumb bar is a failure by design as Ken observed.
The permanent fix would be a replacement aftermarket thumb bar made from sheet metal that can be mounted on any existing reel in a matter of minutes.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Ken_D

Quote from: Tile on March 30, 2014, 06:12:24 PM
The top thumb bar can be replaced easily but the decoupling thumb bar is a failure by design as Ken observed.
The permanent fix would be a replacement aftermarket thumb bar made from sheet metal that can be mounted on any existing reel in a matter of minutes.
Of course.... the thumb rest on top is a clip on jobbie. Gotcha.