114 HL

Started by Shark Hunter, March 31, 2014, 05:23:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I am working my way through all the reels I have bought. This 114 HL was well oiled. Too well oiled, they even oiled the drags!

This reel has all the features that I like. Steel Gears, Top Hat Spacer, Everything is in good shape because of all the Oil. All I did was put in a fresh 5 stack and grease up everything as it should be instead of the oil. Cals on the Drags. I am almost finished with my fourth pound tub of Penn Blue. ;) I can't trick out every one. ::) Its lethal as it is.
Life is Good!

Dominick

Daron, good job.  My 114 hlw was my go to reel for casting live bait to marlin before I got the tank.  It should work very well for sharking.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Ron Jones

Dom,
How do you make up the difference in line capacity from a 114HLW to a Penn 66? Is braid really small enough?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

The Tank is a 113H Ron.
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

The TANK is a Yelow Tail Special, which has the same spool as a Penn 66.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

And that where the Similarity ends.

There is only one Tank. ;)
Life is Good!

erikpowell

I'm trying to figure out why Penn refers to the 114HL..... L designating "Light"?
Is it just the aluminum spool and graphite half frame that makes it a Light?
and which is lighter in weight, the bronze gear or the steel?
curious
thanks

Looking good Daron!
... you always have your car keys in your pics  ;D ;D

Shark Hunter

That's because I always work on the Kitchen Table! ;D
I think its just the spool. There is nothing light about this one.
Life is Good!

Keta

Quote from: noyb72 on March 31, 2014, 11:32:47 PM
The TANK is a Yelow Tail Special, which has the same spool as a Penn 66.
Ron

The "Tank" was a 113H with mods and a narrow spool, not the 66 spool though as the shaft is different.  The "Grouper Special" is a narrow 113 using the 66 spool.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

OK, fine, but their the same size. I'm looking at both right now (Grouper and Yellowtail) and they are the same. My question is about capacity. Going from a Big fat reel to a not so big skinny reel has got to be a huge hit in line capacity.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Keta

Quote from: noyb72 on April 01, 2014, 03:44:17 AM
OK, fine, but their the same size. I'm looking at both right now (Grouper and Yellowtail) and they are the same. My question is about capacity. Going from a Big fat reel to a not so big skinny reel has got to be a huge hit in line capacity.
Ron

Yes, they are the same size, I've been playing with my 113N "Grouper Special" the last few days trying to make a hex insert work.  

If you compare mono to mono or spectra to spectra yes, the capacity is much less for a narrow reel.  Do we really need the amount of spectra that a standard width reel can hold for most fishing?

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Certainly not, it blows my mind seeing reels with HALF A NAUTICAL MILE of 40 pound braid. It just doesn't make sense to me. Big game I get it, but why fill something that fished 40 pound mono better than anything with twice the 40 pound braid? I was just seeing if that was Doms solution or if he felt the 114HLW had more capacity than he needed. I've caught a few marlin, Dom has caught A LOT of marlin.
Ron

By the way, do me a favor and get that insert sorted out by June would ya? I have a feeling a high drag Grouper Special would be great on deep live bait tuna, or maybe we get into some bottom fishing so it can really shine? (I actually hope not but it would be cool to work the reel.)
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Keta

Quote from: noyb72 on April 01, 2014, 04:04:59 AM
Certainly not, it blows my mind seeing reels with HALF A NAUTICAL MILE of 40 pound braid. It just doesn't make sense to me. Big game I get it, but why fill something that fished 40 pound mono better than anything with twice the 40 pound braid? I was just seeing if that was Doms solution or if he felt the 114HLW had more capacity than he needed. I've caught a few marlin, Dom has caught A LOT of marlin.
Ron

By the way, do me a favor and get that insert sorted out by June would ya? I have a feeling a high drag Grouper Special would be great on deep live bait tuna, or maybe we get into some bottom fishing so it can really shine? (I actually hope not but it would be cool to work the reel.)
Ron

I often fill my spools 1/3-1/2 way with 50# Dacron then Spectra. 

I have a good insert for the 60/66 gears but the CF washers round out quickly.  Thicker laminated CF is needed and tomorrow I'll try double CF washers.  I really like the 113NM (narrow medium speed, mine has 149 main gear and 113H pinion gear as per Sal. ) and will test it out on butts this year if I can get 15# of drag out of it.

Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Cool,
I am using the 66 bridge and gears and have a 5 stack in mine. Hasn't caught anything that will stress it but this weekend it is going out with me on the yak as a bait rod. I reckon a GT will give it a run for it's money.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Bryan Young

Quote from: erikpowell on April 01, 2014, 01:04:40 AM
I'm trying to figure out why Penn refers to the 114HL..... L designating "Light"?
Is it just the aluminum spool and graphite half frame that makes it a Light?
and which is lighter in weight, the bronze gear or the steel?
curious
thanks
Bula Erik,

Lord stands for light weight spool or aluminum spool. I have found that the 114Hs with stainless steel spools used for wire lines had steel or stainless steel gears while the HLs had brass gears. I'm not sure if this was common practice but it was what I have seen with the last dozen or so 6/0 reels that I had serviced.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D