Quantum Hot Sauce

Started by MAReelMan, March 31, 2014, 12:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAReelMan

Just curious if this stuff is ok to use on drag washers?

erikpowell

even without knowing exactly what's in Hot Sauce, I'd say   NOPE.
Shimano or Cal's only.. Drag grease for drag washers.. Hot sauce is for metal.

alantani

no, it's hydrocarbon based and will make the drags stick!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MAReelMan

Great, thank you. Do you prefer Cals or Shimano?

MAReelMan

I picked up some Cals. I will use that on my drag discs and use the hot sauce grease for all the other non visible metal surfaces. I have the Hot Sauce Oil as well that I will use on the spool bearings.

Do you suggest I remove the bearing shields and leave them off? Seems like is would be better for freespool and easier to clean.

* Note- This is for an Avet SX 5.3 MC reel.

Tunacious

Personally, I've used both and don't find a difference. I use the grease on both the drags and the other internals.

I went to my local tackle shop this weekend and was going to pick up some Cal's...only because it had been awhile since I used it. I've been using Shimano and like it...no complaints. I wanted to compare the two again to see if there was any differences.

The owner told me that he doesn't have a preference either. The only reason he now uses only Shimano is because he can get a much better deal from them buying in bulk. He's always got a couple dozen reels to clean/repair at any given time and has been doing this for many years.

Re the bearing shields...I've always taken them off.

MAReelMan

Tuna, thx for the info.

Do you pull all bearing shields off, or just the ones on the spools? Also how often should I be greasing the drag? Ill only be out on the weekends.

Tunacious

Only the spool bearings. I should clarify...I only remove the shields from my star drag reels. I leave them on my 114 since I use it for trolling only. Since I don't service my 2 speeds, I presume the shields are still on.

MAReelMan

Would it be ok on the Avet lever drag reels?

Tunacious

Not sure...I don't see why not unless you're breaking the warranty. Spool bearings only.

MAReelMan

Great Tuna thank you, you've been very helpful.