Clean and lube mini miniature bearings.

Started by exp2000, April 01, 2014, 12:06:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exp2000

I have come up with a solution to effectively flush and lube tiny miniature bearings such as those found on ABU worm drives and bail-arm bearings on spinning reels. Enjoy:

First make a miniature bearing blaster out of Delrin rod or similar plastic. The securing screw should be 3mm diameter to accommodate the smallest bearings. A tiny orifice will allow a jet straw from a high discharge aerosol brake cleaner to be inserted, directing the full discharge through the shielded bearing.

So much for the cleaning part, but how to get fresh lubricants into the bearing? You could use a standard aerosol lube but why settle when you can roll your own? I found a video on YouTube on how to make refillable aerosol cans using a tyre valve to repressurise. This has the advantage of allowing custom lube blends of your choice to be used. In this can I have created a TSI-321 + Lighter Fluid blend to mimic TSI-301 which is not available in Australia. Or you could just use a nozzle from a Reel-X bottle.

The aerosol cans may deteriorate over time so appropriate precautions should be taken when handling and storing.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/KimberleyRodandReel/