Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5500 C3 parts

Started by slugmeister, April 01, 2014, 01:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slugmeister

I just have a few questions for the guys who know more than me about reels. The first is about the reel I posted in the subject. My 5500 has a failing anti reverse. From all the searching I've done, I'm certain it is because I have the original one leaf anti reverse dog. I've tried bending it, and all kinds of things. It still sometimes fails to engage for up to a half turn of the handle back. The only thing I haven't done is just put a spring on it to hold it down, but I don't want to hear the constant clicking as I reel. So I think the best route is a double leaf dog. The problem is I have no idea how to get one. I have never seen one in any diagram for my reel. I assume it is from a newer reel, so I'll need the part number. From what I understand, I'll need a spacer under the bottom drag washer, and I'm sure I can find something easy enough to work for that. But by raising the whole "stack" up that little bit, how will it affect the drag/star? Will I need to take one of those washers on top out? I can't just get a new set of drag washers, I just bought the carbontex washers last year. The other thing is, as dumb as it sounds, I lost the centrifugal brakes. :-[ Those plastic cap things that supposedly slow the reel a bit at the start of the cast fell off, and are no where to be found. Assuming I do my part, will I notice a huge change without them?

slugmeister

Maybe I've put this in the wrong section?

day0ne

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you only have a single leaf spring, then one has broken off. I've never seen an Ambassadeur  with a single spring and I have had some really old ones.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Ken_D

Quote from: day0ne on April 03, 2014, 06:06:39 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you only have a single leaf spring, then one has broken off. I've never seen an Ambassadeur  with a single spring and I have had some really old ones.

Wrong.. :)  There was a series of reels around the mid '90's with the one-leaf dog.

Schematic showing the spider underwasher, needed to work with the one armed leaf.
http://www.abugarcia.com/sites/default/files/schematics/5500C3%209905.PDF

This next drawing will be the modified one, with hand-written notes from the Abu Iowa back in the day.
http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/ambassadeur/Ambassadeur_6500C_99-05_Thx_to_KD.pdf

Buy a 5189 washer, or clip the spider's arms, making a washer about 3/8 inches across. This so the regular 2-leaved dog can work without hitting it.
Locate another 13169 drag washer and stack under the driveshaft with the stock one, making the clearance for the second leaf of the dog. Then there's some notes describing the newer position holder with the internal spring.

Ken_D

Quote from: slugmeister on April 01, 2014, 01:05:04 AM
I just have a few questions for the guys who know more than me about reels. The first is about the reel I posted in the subject. My 5500 has a failing anti reverse. From all the searching I've done, I'm certain it is because I have the original one leaf anti reverse dog. I've tried bending it, and all kinds of things. It still sometimes fails to engage for up to a half turn of the handle back. The only thing I haven't done is just put a spring on it to hold it down, but I don't want to hear the constant clicking as I reel. So I think the best route is a double leaf dog. The problem is I have no idea how to get one. I have never seen one in any diagram for my reel. I assume it is from a newer reel, so I'll need the part number. From what I understand, I'll need a spacer under the bottom drag washer, and I'm sure I can find something easy enough to work for that. But by raising the whole "stack" up that little bit, how will it affect the drag/star? Will I need to take one of those washers on top out? I can't just get a new set of drag washers, I just bought the carbontex washers last year. The other thing is, as dumb as it sounds, I lost the centrifugal brakes. :-[ Those plastic cap things that supposedly slow the reel a bit at the start of the cast fell off, and are no where to be found. Assuming I do my part, will I notice a huge change without them?

Post above shows the mods to make the dual leaf anti-reverse dog work. Part number for same is 5134. Unsure what number on the drawing, but 5134 is a good number. Hopefully you saved the old washers from inside the stack. If you did, you can cut one up to make a 13169 instead of buying another one.  The little white hoojahs for your centrifugal brake can be left off, if you have a good thumb. If not, they are available as spares as seen on the drawings in the post above.   Good fixing and fishing, KD

PS..... ~this~ drawing shows what the handwritten one is on about, RE the position holder upgrade,  as seen in the box LH top corner, showing the old setup with the -external- spring, compared to later ones with the internal spring. (see the dog pn here too)     http://www.nutterrodandreel.com/pdf/Abu%20Garcia/1996/royal%20III%200401.pdf

day0ne

Interesting. I guess I didn't buy any Abu's in the 90's
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

slugmeister

Thanks for the responses. The only problem is the second link shows up as forbidden for me. I can find an old drag washer no problem that will work. From your responses, I assume the double leaf will fix my problem?

Ken_D

Hello. That's weird. The 5134 dog will only work with your reel if you either modify the spider washer, clipping off al the prongs down to 3/8 or 5/16's, or buy a 5189, and locate or make another 13169.

Hopefully this works.                http://tinyurl.com/n2sar2w

Ken_D

Quote from: slugmeister on April 03, 2014, 11:34:36 PM
Thanks for the responses. The only problem is the second link shows up as forbidden for me. I can find an old drag washer no problem that will work. From your responses, I assume the double leaf will fix my problem?

Yes, if you follow the instructions on the drawing, along with my prĂ©cis of same in the posts above.. The tiny url as above will now work. No, you need a 13169 sized drag washer, not just any old drag washer, like an uncut one from inside the stack. You need another one the same small size as the present one under your main gear. If you attempt to use a larger one, it will interfere with the leaves of the replacement dog. 

slugmeister

The new link also says forbidden, maybe I'm doing something wrong on my end? So any old drag washer will work, as long as I cut it down to the same size as the one that's in it? Seems easy enough. What did the spider washer do in the first place? I cut the legs off, and it made no difference at all on either the anti reverse, or how the reel went together. Now I just need to track down a double leaf dog thats cheaper than the $7 (assuming there is also shipping) mikes reel repair has. I'll just keep an eye on ebay for a while.

slugmeister

Took my all of a minute to track one down on ebay for $4.90 shipped. So while I wait for it to get here, why exactly does the single leaf dog not work? It seemed fine when I got it last spring, nothing like an instant anti reverse, but it stopped it. I used it on over 50 trips last year with out an incident. One day it just started acting different. I assume the double leaf works by putting double the friction on the gear?

f15h1n6

If your anti reverse isn't working or occasionally works, the dog is sticking. I used to have one with that problem until I figured out there was too much grease that was preventing the dog from working. Try applying some oil and putting it back in its place.

Update: Also, must I add mine is a single leaf and I tried bending it as well. It helped alittle but i found out bending it to press against the gear only made it worse.Try a very slight bend, not too much contact as well.

alantani

Quote from: slugmeister on April 01, 2014, 01:05:04 AM
So I think the best route is a double leaf dog. The problem is I have no idea how to get one.  The other thing is, as dumb as it sounds, I lost the centrifugal brakes. :-[ Those plastic cap things that supposedly slow the reel a bit at the start of the cast fell off, and are no where to be found. Assuming I do my part, will I notice a huge change without them?

don't worry about the brakes.  they're useless, anway. for the dog, send me a pm with your address and i will mail one to you.  i think i still have several left. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ken_D

Quote from: slugmeister on April 04, 2014, 04:40:45 AM
The new link also says forbidden, maybe I'm doing something wrong on my end? So any old drag washer will work, as long as I cut it down to the same size as the one that's in it? Seems easy enough. What did the spider washer do in the first place? I cut the legs off, and it made no difference at all on either the anti reverse, or how the reel went together. Now I just need to track down a double leaf dog thats cheaper than the $7 (assuming there is also shipping) mikes reel repair has. I'll just keep an eye on ebay for a while.

No, not any old drag washer. A drag washer the same thickness as the the 13169, or one of the interior ones in a 3-stack system.

Um, Of course the amputated spider will not work with a single leaf dog. You need the dual leaf dog 5134.   You were to trim the legs off in lieu of purchasing the 5189, as stated in a post early on, when you _have_ the dual dog. The legs of the spider provide extra upwards pressure on the driveshaft &, in sympathy, therefore the one legged dog, to make it work. Alan is arranging to send you one so it's all good.

To get that flipping drawing to work.....go here. http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/search.php     Then, simply type KD (that's me) on the search line, and click search.   It's the 99-05 6500. Read all the handwritten notes placed there by Pure Fishing Iowa, read all the posts in this thread pertaining to the handwritten notes, eyeball all the various schematics, and you will be able to piece together the entire picture. (I hope)  On the dog: I  can mail you one as well, if AT is out of them, or the ebay one is u/s.  

Ken_D

Quote from: slugmeister on April 04, 2014, 04:50:07 AM
I assume the double leaf works by putting double the friction on the gear?

Not really. The leaves straddle the driveshaft with just enough friction to flip into its teeth to make anti-reverse. A common noob mistake is to install the dog with both leaves scrunched either over or under the driveshaft. Another one is the installation way wrong by spreading the leaves forever with a screwdriver, so the leaves no longer maintain a grip on the driveshaft. The leaves are barely opened enough to get it over the driveshaft, with minimal force, and pressure.

The eeb, eh? hopfully is new, with the leaves touching each other, not already featuring a set, with the leaves spread apart. Or you might be doomed from the git go with a dog. pun intended... ;D And it had better be a Swedish one, not Taiwanese or mainland Chinese.
The SE dogs are the only ones that fit properly on the post.