Pro gear 255 help

Started by ryangab, April 01, 2014, 05:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryangab

I have a problem with my 255 that I just acquired. When I went to spool it with line, I noticed that the right side plate was loose. When I went to tighten the bottom screw, it wouldn't tighten. I took the side plate off and tightened the screw straight into the frame and it went in fine. It feels like the screw isn't long enough or inside the frame is stripped? Any ideas? I ready hope it's fixable because I love this reel!

Bryan Young

You can either retap it or I would cut a thin strip of aluminum from a soda can and place it in the hole then insert the screw and screw the frame and sideplate together. This would help fill in the gap and help create threads in the frame.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bobsled 55

Quote from: ryangab on April 01, 2014, 05:36:49 AM
I have a problem with my 255 that I just acquired. When I went to spool it with line, I noticed that the right side plate was loose. When I went to tighten the bottom screw, it wouldn't tighten. I took the side plate off and tightened the screw straight into the frame and it went in fine.

Bottom screw?  I thought there are only two screws that actually attach the side plate to the frame and they are to the left and right of the handle.  The other four screws secure the internals to the side plate.  Here is a picture of Bryan's 255 (some what obsructed, the 255 is the gold reel in the middle). http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=5648.0

ryangab

I tried the soda can trick to no luck. I'm sorry I mean the right and left screws that hold the side plate together. Is there any other solutions? Anybody willing to check it out for me?

Bryan Young

That means that it's stripped good and would need to be re-tapped or an insert needs to be installed.  I'll gladly help but I'm 34 reels in the hole at the moment with Salmon season knocking at my door (not for me to go fishing but to get the reels out before so they and I could go fishing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ryangab

Thanks bryan. I would hate to add to your work load. Is there anybody you recommend that can do the job?

john2244

The threads in the frame may go deeper than the length of the screw.  Try a longer screw.

John

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

a helicoil will do the job, if the size exist... :)

handi2

I would re-tap the next size up after you get the screw you're going to use. You may have to file the head of the screw down to fit the original hole.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Bryan Young

Quote from: john2244 on April 01, 2014, 10:12:25 PM
The threads in the frame may go deeper than the length of the screw.  Try a longer screw.

John
Good point John.  Try screwing the screw in the hole without the sideplate and if it grabs, it is tapped deeper and as John said, may just need a longer screw.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

here's a helicoil tap chart, maybe they have the size you need...

http://www.noblefix.com/helicoil/HeliCoil-Tapping-Chart.html

ryangab

It does screw in without the sideplate on so I will try a longer screw. I have no way of retapping it  :(

Ron Jones

I agree, a longer screw is the ticket. I have run across a few Newell stands whose insert isn't flush to the outside of the stand and therefore needs a longer screw.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

ryangab

Went and got some 3/4inch screws instead of the 1/2 that are provided. Had to grind them down a bit but they fit perfectly. Thanks for the help!

alantani

aluminum is too soft.  what i use is a copper strip cut from a sheet purchased at the local hobby shop. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!