Avet MXL 4.5:1 Grinding Noise

Started by Bucktail, June 28, 2010, 03:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucktail

Hi Alan,

My buddy has an Avet MXL 4.5:1 which has started making a grinding sound.  I think I remember reading something about a design flaw in the Avets in which a bearing is exposed, causing it to fail.  Do you think this might be the issue?

Thanks,
Bob
Just a jig-a-lo

akfish

There are lots of possible sources of the grinding noise. If it is hard to push the lever forward and/or hard to turn the handle, you probably need a new pinion bearing That's the most common failure on all lever drags. I don't think Avet has a design flaw that leave a bearing exposed...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

yeah, first guess is the right main side plate bearing.  the handle will be more difficult to turn in gear as opposed to in free.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bucktail

Thanks for your replies.  However, the reel is not harder to turn in gear and it is not hard to push the lever forward.  It's really just the noise.  Maybe "grinding noise" was not accurate.  It seems to be more of a shushing sound that wasn't there before.  Any other ideas? ???
Just a jig-a-lo

alantani

if the noise occurs when the handle is cranked, then it's one or both of the drive shaft bearings or the right main side plate bearing.  if it becomes more difficult to crank when the lever is engaged, then it's right main.  if the noise occurs when you spin the spool, then it's one or both of the spool bearings.  unfortunately, the best way to check is to actually tear down the reel and check each bearing individually.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bucktail

Thanks.  I'll open her up when I get a chance and report back. ;)
Just a jig-a-lo

Bucktail

I finally got the reel from my friend.  It seems like the handle is very jerky at STRIKE and FULL.  That is, when I turn it slowly it's not smooth.  I can feel little hitches as it turns.  When I turn it fast it's not as noticeable, but it does make that grinding/swooshing sound.

So, I broke it down and cleaned it up following Alan's tutorial for the SX http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=238.0.

Here's what I did:
I noticed some rust on the brake disc which I cleaned up. 
I cleaned up the drag washer and greased it with Cal's (wiping off the excess before reinstalling).
There was slight rust on the bearings.  But,  I oiled them and they all seemed to spin freely.
I added grease to the main and pinion gear.

After putting it back together the handle problem remains.

What else could it be?   ???
Just a jig-a-lo

akfish

I'll bet anything it's the right side plate pinion bearing. It may seem smooth unless there is pressure on it. If there is any rust at all on the bearings they need to be opened up and cleaned -- or, preferably, replaced.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Bucktail

Thank you akfish.   I'll order one and see if that helps.
Just a jig-a-lo

Bucktail

Any tips on how to get that pinion bearing out of the side plate?  That little dude is stuck in there pretty good.

Thanks,
Bob
Just a jig-a-lo

akfish

That's a tough one. Very. Your best bet is to soak the bearing and side plate for a few hours then get an allen wrench that just fits the inside diameter of the bearing and see if you can remove it. And once your do remove it, be very sure you grease the plate and the bearing before you install the new one.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Bucktail

Soaked it in Break Free CLP (wouldn't budge) and then WD40 (still not coming out).  >:(  What's left to do?  Anything?
Just a jig-a-lo

akfish

You'll need to send it to Avet. If you grind it out you'll lose the anodizing and never get out the replacement... This is a common problem and why it is vital that the pinion bearing be removed and greased at least annually.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Bucktail

Ugh!  That's not what I wanted to hear. :P  I hope they don't charge an arm and a leg to get that out.

Thank you for all your help AK.
Just a jig-a-lo

Bill Benrath

Outside of the inconvience, it will probably cost more to ship and insure it than Avet will charge to remove the bearing.  They have always been more than fair.  Good luck.