Polyolester based oil (TSI 301/321)

Started by amoebasurgeon, April 02, 2014, 11:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amoebasurgeon

Hi everyone. I noticed that TSI lubes are made with Ester oil so I bought an 8oz. bottle of Ester oil for $6;can this be safely used on graphite reels? Should it be mixed with another lube? The viscosity ISO is 100 so I think it may be safe on plastics but I'm not sure.

Killerbug

Quote from: amoebasurgeon on April 02, 2014, 11:53:52 PM
Hi everyone. I noticed that TSI lubes are made with Ester oil so I bought an 8oz. bottle of Ester oil for $6;can this be safely used on graphite reels? Should it be mixed with another lube? The viscosity ISO is 100 so I think it may be safe on plastics but I'm not sure.

Esters are related to the PVC softeners(phatalates), we use to soften our soft plastic baits. This means, that oil esters will
softening elastomer seals, used in some machinery.

Text below is taken from an engineering manual.

1. Lubricants based on esters or polyglycols are generally not compatible with plastics.

2. Mineral-oil-based lubricants don't attack most plastics.

The binding in Graphite is normally polymers, a graphite reel might not be affected by TSI.  But your reel, could also be another plastic/graphite compound.
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

amoebasurgeon

Quote from: Killerbug on April 03, 2014, 07:26:27 PM
Quote from: amoebasurgeon on April 02, 2014, 11:53:52 PM

Esters are related to the PVC softeners(phatalates), we use to soften our soft plastic baits. This means, that oil esters will
softening elastomer seals, used in some machinery.

Text below is taken from an engineering manual.

1. Lubricants based on esters or polyglycols are generally not compatible with plastics.

2. Mineral-oil-based lubricants don't attack most plastics.

The binding in Graphite is normally polymers, a graphite reel might not be affected by TSI.  But your reel, could also be another plastic/graphite compound.

Should I dilute it with a general purpose oil? My plan was to only use it on spool bearings. I'll let them air-dry, then re-install them. There are only two reels I'll be using this oil on: Cavalla 20II and Citrix 273 baitcaster. I haven't had a chance to crack them open but I don't think there are any plastic parts near the spool bearings.

Killerbug

In that case, I can't see any problem using Tsi. I am mostly conserned  using Tsi on the IAR bearings, and on the clutch mechanisn.

amoebasurgeon

Quote from: Killerbug on April 11, 2014, 04:57:46 AM
In that case, I can't see any problem using Tsi. I am mostly conserned  using Tsi on the IAR bearings, and on the clutch mechanisn.

The product is called Ultra 100 Ester by Masterchem. I emailed them two weeks ago but no response yet. 

Killerbug

Quote from: amoebasurgeon on April 15, 2014, 03:00:32 AM
Quote from: Killerbug on April 11, 2014, 04:57:46 AM

The product is called Ultra 100 Ester by Masterchem. I emailed them two weeks ago but no response yet. 

Not a good sign  ???