Penn 114H and Penn GLS 45

Started by SharkFisher, June 29, 2010, 05:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SharkFisher

I just picked up an old Penn 114H (heavy bugger) and a GLS 45, did a complete teardown/rebuild on the GLS, the thing is in great shape on the inside. I was sure it would need parts due to the seemingly tight non-maintained feel of the reel but it just needed the bearings cleaned of the hard tar reddish grease that was nost likely packed at manufacture, heck, the drag washer doesn't even look like it seen a single fight (40 GLS tutorial was great by the way). I was going to sell this reel but was wondering what others' think about it. I am trying to catch a minimum 7 foot shark from the surf hoping for a 9 or 10, probably depends pn how far I want to kayak out to drop baits. As for the 114H, they do not make em like that anymore as it is obvious it can land big fish... Rebuild is in progress, and I will be buying another one of the older ones.

jdc946

I have several Penn 45 gls reels. i love the reels. I haven't really tested their limits yet, but they handle 75# tuna without any noticable strain, and i am far from being the best angler out there. The problem That I see, is replacing the drag washers. Since Penn no longer make these reels, I would think that penn will stop supplying spare parts. So far, i haven't had any problems obtaining drag washers, but i would like one of you reel gurus to come up with a substitute.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: SharkFisher on June 29, 2010, 05:03:53 AM
I just picked up an old Penn 114H (heavy bugger) . . . .  I am trying to catch a minimum 7 foot shark from the surf hoping for a 9 or 10, probably depends pn how far I want to kayak out to drop baits. As for the 114H, they do not make em like that anymore as it is obvious it can land big fish... Rebuild is in progress, and I will be buying another one of the older ones.

I can't speak for the GLS 45, but the 114H is a solid reel. I guess I just like the classics and go for simplicity. Mine is loaded with 80# Spectra over mono and can't wait to give it a real test of its mettle. I also put a 6/0 Kolekar grip (from Alan's shop) on the reel and it's a big improvement.

Good luck . . .
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

Keep them.  You'd never be able to replace them at the same price!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

akfish

Parts are getting hard to fid for the 45GLS; Penn has stopped supplying many of them. Other than that, it's an OK reel, albeit heavy for what it does.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Taily

Parts are getting a little scarce as others have pointed out, however most are still available. The Scott's bait and tackle online store is a fantastic source for the bits to keep them up and running. I had an issue with a worn gear in my 45 GLS (I own both the 40 and 45 GLS reels which I have had since new) and discovered that there had been a superseded gearset during the life of the reel. I sent a couple of photos off to Scott's that showed the issue (a different sized spiggot - in fact they use the photo I took to outline the differences on their website) and before I knew it the new support bearing was in the mail on its way to Australia where I live.

I wouldn't have thought the drag washer (being HT100) would have copped much abuse, however sometimes the plastic drag cover can be difficult to get out if there has been any residue build-up on the spool in that area.

I've also got a heap of parts from them for some of my other Penns, ranging from a 920 baitcaster, a couple of 113H's, a 10KG and my electramate equipped 114H. Their website is quite good to browse as it indicates the part numbers and often what the original part numbers have superseded to.

Regards,

Dave
Nunc est bibendum....