Mangrove Jacks / Snappers / Fiji Damu

Started by erikpowell, April 05, 2014, 01:52:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erikpowell

Lutjanus argentimaculatus, the mangrove red snapper (commonly called mangrove jack within Australia, and Damu in Fiji)

After a few months of laying off the river fishing... all the way from Florida, Dwight (Newel Nut) has re-inspired me today to hit the river in search of my favorite light tackle species.

I'd like to share a collection of videos I've bookmarked, mainly out of Australia where there is some epic mangrove jack fishing.
I put together a presentation for our fishing club last year about these guys. I've lost the Powerpoint I did, and I won't bore you with the factoids.

I'll let Hodgie the Barefoot Fisherman tell you a little about them. This guys' one of my favorites:

Watch out for those teeth Hodgie!

As you can see here from JACKGuide, it's a little more challenging from a kayak.  ;)
I've had two Damu almost tip me out of my kayak.. dirty little dogs are mean, probably as vicious as a fish can be. (more on that later)
Watch how hard his last fish its him:

Here's another big one with Johnny the JACKguide
They're havin a ball

I know a couple guys, a friend included, who have Jacks in their aquariums at home..great way to get to know them up close.

Hope you enjoyed all!

Well, there's about two hours left till the tide bottoms out in the river here. That's my favorite time for mangrove jacks.. last two hours of the drop. should be some good stuff.
I'm gonna have a sandwich and GO

One last thing to remember, Mangrove Jacks/Snappers don't spawn till they reach 40cm or about 16".
Practice good CPR on those under & right around the breeding size  ;)

Moce & Vinaka vaka levu.
Cheers

Shark Hunter

Nice Videos Erik! I use to Have Oscars and enjoyed feeding them. Nothing like those guys! It made me realize I need another tool for my Bag. One of those holders. ;D
Life is Good!

erikpowell

Yeah, the Boca Grip?
I had the big Rapala one but it rusted and broke after a couple months.
You can't lip these suckers like a you can a bass  ;D

Cone

I used to dive here in the northern gulf of mexico. I did a lot of spearfishing. I had one trip that still stands out. We were diving a tug in about 80 ft of water. I had shot 8 or nine mangrove snapper and was trying to fill my limit. It was winter and I was wearing a wet suit with a hood. I shot a nice mangrove and I was afraid he was going to get off the shaft because of the hole he had torn in his side fighting the shaft. I grabbed the spear point in my hand so he couldn't get off. I was opening the stainless steel stringer to put him on it before taking the shaft out. In a flash he swam up the shaft and bit the only exposed skin on my face not covered with hood, mask or regulator. He went crazy shaking his head. I thought I had lost a chunk of my face. It seemed like forever but was a good couple of minutes I had to swim around with him trying to tear a hunk out of my face. I seriously thought I might have to end the dive with him still attached. He finally calmed down enough for me to get my dive knife in his mouth and pry them apart. I put him on the stringer and had to suffer the jokes from my buddies on the way home.
    I had a bleeding V on my face from his teeth. That one measured 24 inches long and I put him on the grill that night. I had the last bite!  ;D
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Keta

That's why I preferred a 5 prong spear tip.

Thanks for the video Erik.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Thanks for Sharing that Story Bob! If I catch his Brother, I'll use him for Shark Bait in your Honor! ;D
That first Video of Erik's with those snapping Jaws. Wow! I couldn't imagine that on my face! I'm definitely getting a Boca Grip for Bluefish and the Such with those Dog teeth! ;D
Life is Good!

erikpowell

Holy S**T Bob!!   :o :o    Now I know someone who's been ATTACKED by them too  ;D
Incredible story. Thanks for sharing that... we won't make fun of you here Bob  :P
I'll warn my friends who spearfish... There are much bigger ones out on the reef.
Wow..

Daron,
.. I like it when Barefoot Hodgie says "I hate it when they do that snapping thing"   ;D ;D

erikpowell

Are they as abundant on the Gulf Coast as they are on the Atlantic side?
I don't think I remember ever seeing them around Longboat/Venice/Myakka area.. not that I fished this hard back then.
I'm curious though.

Shark Hunter

I Don't Know Eric, but I plan on doing some serious Kayak Bait fishing with my Surfmasters. I don't think I'll have as much patience as Hodgie if a Mangrove starts snapping at me. I'll use his head for bait and eat the rest! ;)
My Son is a Certified Diver and wants to do some spearfishing for Lion Fish. I am trying to talk him out of it, Just for the Shark Factor where we fish. That 7' Blacktip I caught last September wasn't 30 yards where Divers were present.
Damn! those Boga Grips are expensive! $120 for the 30.lb model. Is it worth the money Erik?
Life is Good!

Cone

Eric, They are pretty common here. We don't have mangrove trees though. Up here most people call them black snapper. They do have attitudes though. They are some good eating.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

erikpowell

They are spendy Daron... too spendy. that's why I opted for the cheaper Rapala one that failed me..
Are they worth it to you Daron?..... I doubt it.... SHARK HUNTER  !! ;D ;D 

maybe you could borrow a Jaws of Life from your fire dept.  ;D

for me they are a catch & release tool. I'd still like to receive a Boca grip for Xmas  :D, but for now I'm using a nice silicone net
for releasing my Damu & such..

erikpowell

Hi Bob..Thanks bud... Hey, you just hit 1000 posts!
:D

Shark Hunter

I was thinking I needed a grip in case I caught one of those Snappers. The Bluefish isn't any slouch either in the tooth dept.
Life is Good!

Newell Nut

Erik
Thanks for the videos. I love catching those fish. The first one of the mango feeding explains why so many people can't catch them. Most people try to set the hook after a bite and they get nothing. You have to be patient and let them play and play and play and they will finally make a run. Very rarely will a mango freight train you. When you fish for them with a livey it is a good idea to have some scissors to cut the back fins off before you send it down.
My .02

Keta

Will they hit iron, butterfly jigs or swimbaits?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain