Can't finish my projects!

Started by floating doc, June 02, 2014, 07:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

floating doc

I found a box with a wire lined 112H when I moved last year, so I decided to build a narrow jigging reel. I almost finished it, but I found the second dog difficult to make work. When the Black Diamond gear problems showed up, I stopped working on the reel, and it's been sitting unfinished for months now. I may use it with the BD gears, and just limit myself to about 14 lbs of drag. Any suggestions?

For my second project, I bought a half frame for my $20 pawn shop 115L. I've added a 7+1 drag from Bryan, and a stainless sleeve. I haven't bought the dogs and crank arm yet, but the plan was to double dog it and use it for shark fishing. It is one of the older 9/0 reels, so I was pretty happy when I got inside and found that it has a set of steel gears. There's corrosion and pitting on the underside of the main gear, but I figure that with a heavily greased washer under there and the 7+1 drag, it would work fine. Unfortunately, it's one of the older models and the new half frame doesn't match the side plate screw holes. Once again, I'm stuck with an unfinished project.

So what to do with the 9/0? I've thought about putting it together with a stock drag and bronze gears, and selling it. I would keep the steel gears and drag for my project.

If I buy another 9/0 on ebay, I guess I would have to be sure to get a bearing reel, so I don't go through this again. Then swap the gears and drag between the two reels and back onto ebay again. I guess the easiest way to be sure that I get side plates that fit is to buy a reel with an aluminum spool.

The other option is to look for side plates and rings that would fit the frame, but still work with my bushing-type spool. The problem with that is that I don't know how to be sure that I don't end up in the same situation with side plates that don't fit the frame, and I think it would be easier to sell a whole reel than parting out all of the extra pieces. Suggestions?
Central Florida

Shark Hunter

Sell it Doc and get you a bearing reel to use that frame. That is what I would do.
Life is Good!

floating doc

That's what I'm thinking; I just would have preferred a bushing reel for the sandy environment when beach sharking. What about the steel gears? Keep em for the final model? It would be a lot cheaper than buying the new BP ones.
Central Florida

broadway

Those steel gears are good stuff with lots of grease and annual maintenance.
Take fine steel wool or a fine sand paper to the bottom to remove the surface corrosion.
Dom

Shark Hunter

I prefer the Steel Eric. That's what I have in my 12 and 14/0's.
Life is Good!

floating doc

Quote from: broadway on June 02, 2014, 08:27:20 PM
Those steel gears are good stuff with lots of grease and annual maintenance.
Take fine steel wool or a fine sand paper to the bottom to remove the surface corrosion.
Dom

There's more than surface corrosion.  It's got some pitting that's not going to polish out.
Central Florida

Shark Hunter

As long as the teeth are in good shape, you will be fine Doc. I just polish mine up the best I can with a small wire wheel on the dremel and roll with it. ;)
Life is Good!

floating doc

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 02, 2014, 11:48:41 PM
As long as the teeth are in good shape, you will be fine Doc. I just polish mine up the best I can with a small wire wheel on the dremel and roll with it. ;)

I polished the whole thing with a brass wire wheel, then polished the underside of the main gear with polishing compound.
Central Florida

Tightlines667

I'd make sure the main gear bushing is seated properly (I.e. Flush with the bottom), then consider a Delron (or a greased CF) undergear washer to improve smoothness.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

floating doc

Quote from: Tightlines666 on June 03, 2014, 02:31:17 AM
I'd make sure the main gear bushing is seated properly (I.e. Flush with the bottom), then consider a Delron (or a greased CF) undergear washer to improve smoothness.

I've got the 7+1 CF drags, greased with Cal's. All I need is most of the rest of the reel to go with it. :-\

I'll be putting this project on the back burner until later in the year when I can justify buying another 9/0. I'll end up okay after I'm done, because I'll be selling this reel and some spare parts, but I've got to watch my cash flow. I'm taking the family on a two week road trip this month, and I had a new AC compressor installed in my truck today.

I'm watching ebay, although that's kind of dangerous....
Central Florida