Ultrasonic Bath

Started by Prefessa, April 06, 2014, 01:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnachak

Hi Fred, did you ever try the Simple Green, purple, industrial degreaser? It is supposed to be biodegradable so I don't think there is as much chance of damage to parts. I only do maybe 30 or 40 reels a year so I can't justify an ultrasonic cleaner. Since I am OCD I would probably clean them the same way I do now prior to using the machine on them.

foakes

Thanks for the reminder, John -- I'll give it a try & let everyone know my opinion on the product.

A couple of things that I have learned --

I used to think when I was younger, that there was only (1) best method to do a job -- and only one way to accomplish that job -- generally my way!

Now I have come to realize that there are many ways to arrive at a sensible outcome -- as well as an infinite number of ways to define and get to that good result.

Everyone is different, and I have come to appreciate everyone's choices & ideas.

We all do what we do best -- and too much pride in one's own ideas, is generally not productive.

Thanks to Alan, the moderators, and all who share on this forum.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmystic_david

One note,,,,I"m not sure why a glass container was mentioned as damaging things....never seen that.

Be advised that the plastic doesn't transmit the us energy as well as glass so you are reducing the cleaning efficiency. I use glass beakers normally and L&R has a cover with two holes that is designed to hold two beakers. I can try for a pic if anyone is interested.

Boatzilla

I repair the gearbox on the Precision Auto Reels, the grease has been in the gearbox anywhere from 2-15 years.
For the thickened old grease I soak the gears in Toluene for an hour then shake the container to agitate. The old grease literally falls off the gears, a quick wipe with a paper towel and they are ready to go.
It doesn't take a lot of Toluene to do this either.
I do this all outside due to fumes, Toluene evaporates quicker than acetone so I keep it sealed in a covered can when not in use.
Do not use in a vibratory cleaner! Nor with plastics. For cleaning metal spools or small metal parts it works very well.

Dave
Precision Auto Reels Sales and Service
Mister Chummer Chum Grinders
Dehookers

foakes

A member recently asked about my simple green mix ratio --

Everyone will have various methods, formulas, and ingredients -- but I thought it might be useful to some -- to share my procedure.  And this may change if something better, cheaper, and easier comes along.  But this works very well for me -- parts come out shiny, and every tiny inaccessible crevice is clean.  

As a rule -- 50/50 -- water and SG.

My UC does not use heat (less to go wrong with a heating element) -- but it does have an 8 minute analog mechanical timer.  If more time is needed -- just reset the timer for another go-around.  Generally leave the same SG in for a couple of weeks -- depending on usage and how dirty the liquid gets.

The other wide mouth jar resting in the same reservoir, has ZEP Purple Industrial Cleaner at also about 50/50.  I tried the SG purple -- just doesn't work nearly as well.

I keep a jelly jar and lid on my bench filled with lacquer thinner.  If parts are really hard greased up, or some weird lubricant that will not come off easily was used -- I give it a 10 minute soak, shake it up, another 10 minutes -- then into the purple.  This handles 99% of issues quick and easy.  LT works very quickly and effectively on bearings.

All chrome, SS, brass, steel, and tough metals go into the purple.

Pot metal, aluminum, bakelite, plastic, nylon, etc., goes in the SG.

Even then, some of the aluminum or pot metal parts will require additional cleaning by hand -- since they develop a black film that comes off with Steel wool or silver polish.

Just use a strainer -- pour the parts into the strainer, with a pan underneath to recycle the cleaning solution -- rinse with fresh hot water -- dry large parts by hand -- just put the small parts on a paper towel -- they dry by themselves.

This method allows me to crack open a reel, disassemble, clean, and make ready for reassembly in about 20 minutes.  And I work on the next reel while the first one is being cleaned.  So the time factor overlaps and multiplies my production effectiveness.  

Every reel is cleaned separately, kept on its own tray until complete -- and never mixed with another reel (voice of experience and mistakes).

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mike1010

Good, detailed information.  Thanks for sharing.