more notes on xtreme reel +

Started by alantani, June 30, 2010, 09:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

dale, thanks a million!  btw, you can post on the welcome board.  alan

Quote from: dalemyer on June 30, 2010, 04:01:12 AM
Hi Alan,

I typed this up on Word for spellcheck etc. then noticed that I can't post. Tack this into the discussion if it will contribute. Thanks again for your help today.

Dale

Set-up
I am posting this as requested by Alan to kick-start the XtremeReel + discussion that I saw on the site here in a thread from earlier this year.  I usually call Alan when I need adult supervision but fortunately today I scanned the website first and came across Alan's comments on XtremeReel+. He seemed to like the freespool increase but warned time will tell.

My story
Back in April in was prepping my reels for a 15-day trip. I had a bottle of the XtremeReel + that I picked up at a show somewhere. Holy smokes did it ever give me incredible freespool times. For a while I thought maybe I had this reel maintenance stuff down. Fortunately I jotted down the freespool times on the few reels I managed to service. Then just before the trip, my Mom started having chest pains. She's fine after receiving one stent for a partially blocked artery and is 1 month away from her 85th birthday. No I didn't go on the dream trip I waited a year for. I missed the trip and my reels sat on the dining room table (I'm single) for about two months due to work and business travel. I just started prepping for an upcoming 7-day in mid-July and found those incredible freespool times back down to average. Gone after no fishing trip usage.
Today
I called Alan with a question about an Avet and to report what I had noticed with the XtremeReel +. For example, I have a small Tiburon auto-shifter that had 1:30 freespool after the April service. Today it was 30 seconds at best. Now in the past I would have been happy with 30 seconds but what gives? Trying to keep this story short, I busted open 4 reels after talking to Alan and all 4 regained the incredible freespool times after another shot of XtremeReel +. The small Tib went beyond 1:45 when I stopped counting. My rookie observation is whatever gives the XtremeReel + its extra oats wears off after a couple of months and resumes back to normal lube times.
Conclusion
My plan is XtremeReel + the spools of all my live bait reels shortly before a trip for maximum freespool and use the regular lube/grease of choice for all other bearings and moving parts. Again, these observations were offered to continue the discussion on XtremeReel + only.

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

slip tip

I noticed the same thing; after the initial application, the free spool is incredible, but after a while (just a few days) it's back to "normal". When I lube the spool bearing now, I use Corrosion X and I'm happy with it. The resulting free spool will end up the same regardless and I trust the corrosion protection that it will deliver.

Regards,
David
If you kill it, grill it!