progression of upgrades, and new failure points

Started by Three se7ens, April 09, 2014, 04:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three se7ens

I have spent a far greater time of my life modifying cars, building performance motors, etc, than I have messing with reels.  But there is one basic principle of hotrodding that applies to everything.  Making one part stronger merely means something else will be the first to break.  All the senators share the same basic design for the most part, with parts being scaled up or down for specific reels.  So Im interested in hearing about the strength of these reels at different levels of hotrodding, and where the next likely failure point it.

The gear sleeve seems to be the first weak point in most, but especially the smaller ones.  Has anyone every had a dog failure thats not spring related?  How about stripping teeth on the gears?  Frame breaking?  Spool slipping on the shaft?

Im also interested in hearing thoughts on the point at which the reel cant be pushed further without altering the fundamental design of the reel. 

alantani

the brass gear sleeve first, then the brass main gear teeth are a very close second.  a distant third is a bent spool shaft or a torqued frame.  your observation and quite accurate!  the drive train is the first thing to fail.  even stainless steel gear sleeves and gears will usually fail before you bend a spool or badly torque a frame.  it's all about the drive train. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

gstours

Hello again; and I,m interested in this too....   but you got to push the reel hard, and very few people do, or even get the chance.......then are they goinna say I broke it in midst their  peers????  time will tell. but its good to have upgraded reels when the fight starts,  the savy fisherman should make the adjustments......as they weigh the fishes advantage on them.... ....If they never made braid line this would have never happened?????????????????that my 2 cents worth.......what would zane grey say????????back off an let them run........hey skipper fire up the boat again........hard reverse.......and pour some more water on this big honkin reel...........gst????