jigmaster gear?

Started by maxpowers, April 09, 2014, 05:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxpowers

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased this used gear set from ebay.  Helical cut 4:1 (48:12) ratio and the material is magnetic.  I think it might be steel.  However the bottom side of the gear has a small recess that is 21.4 mm diameter and about .5mm thick.  Could any of you help figure out if this gear set came out of a jigmaster and what version would it be?

Thanks

Bryan Young

Other than helical cut gears, the main gear sounds like it comes from an original Newell P series or blackie reel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

maxpowers

here is the picture of the gear set.  the recess is too shallow to be a newell gear set, I think.

bluefish69

The grove on the bottom of a Newell Gear takes the same Drag Washer as goes inside the Gear. That's NOT a Newell Gear for a 4 Stack.

Get a drag washer that fits the grove & use it as the Thrust Washer between the gear & Bridge Sleeve.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Bryan Young

Oh yeah, that gear.  That's Penn's 4:1 chrome plated steel gear.  I have a few well used ones that I use to testing my drags.  If I recall, they made this recessed for the drag washer similar to the Newell Reels to provide more drag surface area and not thinking about the other surface (the gear sleeve).  They are strong gears but needs to be well coated with grease for protection.  Every once and while, you should inspect the gears to make sure the chrome surface is in tack.  If not, regrease for a lifetime of use.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D