My latest project

Started by johnachak, April 10, 2014, 12:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnachak

I am redoing a few reels for a friend. He said I could keep one or two if I want. Well, I really like the 320GTi, USA made. So here is my before shot. When I get the parts and finish, I'll post that. One of the reels I will be doing is a 945. It's the first one I've ever seen. That should be fun. I am trying to rescue some "Sandy-ized" reels for friends. So far, not too bad. only 2 too rusted to fix. a lot of time and cleaning for sure. Have a great day folks.
John

johnachak

Of course the worm, line guide and worm cover are messed up and the pawl and pawl screw are missing. That's right, a whole worm kit. Dang. Oh yeah, the tension screw, spring and shims are gone. That's right, another SBT kit. Dang, $43. Oh well, The rest of the reel is pristine. I can't figure it out. It'll be as good as brand new when I am finished anyway. I guess I picked the wrong reel... Actually it is one of my favorites.

johnachak

So, do you think someone got a little upset when this thing apparently locked up?
Sorry about the cell phone photo. I am not sure if there is a size limit on photos on here. Have a great day all.

Ron Jones

Reel rund MUCH better without the levelwind anyway.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

OSIRIS631

I have a 320 and a 310 and ripped the level wind out of both reels... know they cast great and nice and smooth... ;D ;D ;D... thats my idea of and upgrade  lol just rip it out

Regards,

John
Sometimes your the dog and sometimes your the tree.

johnachak

Quote from: OSIRIS631 on April 11, 2014, 07:15:47 PM
I have a 320 and a 310 and ripped the level wind out of both reels... know they cast great and nice and smooth... ;D ;D ;D... thats my idea of and upgrade  lol just rip it out

Regards,

John

Funny you and noyb72 seem to feel much the same way as a friend of mine. Did you rip out the level winds just to increase the casting ability? I use the GTI's pretty much from a boat bottom fishing. I guess without the level winds I would want to find a way to keep the salt water / spray out of the reels. You have me thinking. I might try it on an older 310 I have. I use my 330 with lead core line for trolling for Stripers. the level wind stays on that one. Thanks for the ideas guys.

Ron Jones

Look at Alan's tutorial for this reel. You'll see what we are talking about. My first Taniization ever.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

borchcl

A dab of black silicon will seal the holes where the L.W. used to be. Did that on a couple GTIs that seemed to have chronic worm issues and a Tition 400 that I couldn't find L.W. parts for. Worked great for drop fishing and casting.
Charlie

johnachak

Thank you. I was wondering if that would work. I was debating between that and JB weld. I'll certainly try the silicone first. have a great day.

Tile

You can get 8mm diameter brass or stainless steel pipe, cut it to length and fit it where the levelwind was.
In solid fiberglass we trust

johnachak

Quote from: Tile on April 13, 2014, 08:31:27 PM
You can get 8mm diameter brass or stainless steel pipe, cut it to length and fit it where the levelwind was.

That might even help keep the reel more rigid.
Thank you.
John

Keta

I have a pile of worm gears and line guides that might work, how long is the worm gear. I don't have the covers though.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tile

The piece if pipe acts as a placeholder for the levelwind. In cse you want to put a good levelwind the pipe can be taken out :) .
In solid fiberglass we trust

Ken_D

How are all the bearings? The bridge brg, (in section 2 of the RH sideplate)  and the one at the base of the driveshaft are the same, and rarely fail. The other 2 fail all the time. The small one in the LH sideplate is a 4 x 11 x 4, and the big one under the star on top is 1/2 x 7/8 x 5/32. That size is not available everywhere.
Penn requests about 18.00, and Boca about 17.00. I got mine from SMB in the UK for 2.00 a pop. The small 4mm ones can be had for 1.00 on up, to 12 or 15.

johnachak

Quote from: Keta on April 20, 2014, 03:06:11 PM
I have a pile of worm gears and line guides that might work, how long is the worm gear. I don't have the covers though.

Thanks but I already put in a new worm / cover from Mysticparts.com. I wish I had seen your response sooner. Thank goodness all the bearings were in excellent shape. In face everything but the levelwind was excellent.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"