Another 9/0

Started by Shark Hunter, March 30, 2014, 05:39:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I got this reel from my Buddy Topshot for cheap.Whew Boy! Was it in bad shape.

The gear had pretty much welded itself to the sleeve from corrosion.
I got the gear off, but the sleeve, yoke and dog are toast! They have a crust on them like you see in a shipwreck!

After soaking the parts in simple green for a couple hours, I realized I was wasting my time and busted out the emery cloth and a wire wheel that my man Harry gave me. I was torn to go whole hog or just make it simple.

Since I worked so Hard to save the bridge and main gear. That's the route I took. I didn't realize I have so many parts on hand to make a 114H or 9/0. I went with a ss Sleeve, Standard 5 stack, replaced the yoke and went with a stainless dog and spring. Dom and Tom Frame. Keta Krank and Alan's Kokelar Grip.

Wala! ;)
I forgot to mention, I finally got around to using the Eco Seal That Tawakoni Terror So Generously provided me. I am impressed with it. These bearings are ultra smooth! ;D
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Well done Daron!  Looks like that one took some elbow grease.  Are these the orange sealed bearings from Boca, or which are you referring to?  Also, have you got ant of those Delron (or Teflon) washers to try under the main gear yet?  I'm curious to see how they perform.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

They are just stock bearings John. The Eco Seal is a new product that Tawakoni Terror sent me. Its a lubricant for the bearings.
No, I still haven't cut any Delrin or Teflon Washers. I will before I go on My Trip in May.
Life is Good!

harryk3616

well in may,   may you put that beautiful reel to the test and catch a bunch of trophy fish.  reel looks great, boy don't you get a big sense of accomplishment when you do a project like that and it turns out magnificent,  great job, good luck on that fishing trip, it will be here before you know it.

Shark Hunter

Thanks Harry! Erik showed us just what a stock 9/0 can do with one of these frames with that Big Tuna of his. ;)
Life is Good!

Tawakoni Terror

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 30, 2014, 06:42:51 PM
They are just stock bearings John. The Eco Seal is a new product that Tawakoni Terror sent me. Its a lubricant for the bearings.
No, I still haven't cut any Delrin or Teflon Washers. I will before I go on My Trip in May.

Thanks for trying the EcoSeal on the bearings. FYI, the product is also a hydrophobic, anti-corrosion sealer for protecting ALL the parts of a reel. Adds no weight or dimension.

farm use

I couldn't help noticing those custom reel covers.  Very nice, now I'm thirsty.  Nice job on the clean up. 

Kirk

Shark Hunter

No one commented on the frame being backwards. ;D
Life is Good!

erikpowell

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 05, 2014, 02:38:13 AM
No one commented on the frame being backwards. ;D

I set mine up the same way Daron.  ;)

Shark Hunter

You Sure Did! It didn't seem to matter to that Giant tuna! ;) I Love this Shot!
Life is Good!

erikpowell

;D Thanks Daron
I must say though, while I was fishing that day I was thinking to myself, and looking at the reel from this angle too,
that with it set up this way, won't line from the edges of the spool have a chance to rub the inside edge of the frame?

The opposite side has 100% clearance, and also would make for a more rigid mounting for the front rod brace.
That's my new 2cents man  :D  even though I like the look...I think I'll have to switch mine around.
What do you think?

Can't wait to see my silver one too ..should be any day now.

Also ya'll, my buddy is interested in this pair of 9/0  ebay reels.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121315511021

is it 100% chance that the chrome spools would be 1 piece ?
Thanks!

as for the big tuna,
the bite's been off for the last few weeks..the local prediction is this next full moon phase will bring them back within range one more time.
and after that they're gone for the season..we're already seeing wahoo in the mix...their season is next...cyclone season ending and winter just around the corner.

Shark Hunter

Yea, I am going to turn mine around too. This was the only one I did backwards. its easy enough to do.
As far as that pair of 9's. I'd say they are one piece spools because of the bearings, but if you look close, I bet they are corroded pretty bad under that line. You can see the corrosion progressively get worse toward the line. I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole Brother! I've bought a ton of reels and I know from experience. That line is left on there for a reason. ;)
I have had no luck selling the rest of Dom's frames. I really can't believe that nobody out there wants one of them. It puzzles me. :-\
Life is Good!

Three se7ens

If you have the straight bar in the front, the line will rub on it when the spool starts to get low, maybe 1/3 of the spool left.

erikpowell

Cool man, thanks... they look pretty good in the pics, but I'll defer to your vaster experience than mine  ;D
I'll pass on the info..
besides, I told him to go for an aluminum spool anyway.

There's 5 more of Dom's frames on the way for myself and a couple friends so we're on the hunt for 3 or 4 more good 9/0's.
I've contacted another member about a second one for me  ;) and it'd be a lot better than ebay if we could scrounge a few more from some of the guys & gals here!  8) 8)