Penn 650SS Line Roller Retrofit?

Started by Blueclaw, April 13, 2014, 07:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blueclaw

I have an older (late 70's, early 80's) Penn 650SS reel that I rebuilt 2 years ago.  I went to use it for bottom fishing with 50# braid line recently and it was a real bear to crank in line.  I found that the line roller was not revolving.  Back home, I replaced the line roller and sleeve.  Now it is even worse.  On the table the roller doesn't revolve with 50# mono, it just sits in one position.

So, I guess my question is actually 2 questions:  1)  Is there a retrofit line roller or bail/roller which will work better?  And 2), Is there any way that I can use braid on this reel?

Thanks

LTM

Blueclaw,

You will get more response to your question if you post this topic in the 'SPINNING REEL" tutorial section below this section. In response to your questions:

1)  Ebay sells line rolllers here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111298055309?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT#ht_362wt_1161
There are others available.

2)  These reels CAN definitely use braid, lots do here.

3)  Check the tutorials in the spinning section on how to increase the drag and improve the working of the antireverse dogs on these reels as well

Leo

philaroman

What's the OD X ID X Width of your roller?

There are several Shimano models from the early 90's that use a small solid SiC roller over a brass bushing/liner.  If you could find one that matches your OD & width, you should be able to cut a new bushing to fit the Penn bail.  You'd have 2 lubed surfaces to improve rotation & solid SiC will not cut, scratch, or corrode.

Personally, I'm hoarding Shimano's big solid SiC rollers from mid-90's that can go over a bearing or steel bushing, depending on which nylon liner is used -- absolutely best for braid, IMHO, way better than modern coated-metal nonsense, unless you pay through the nose for a Stella roller set-up...  w/ braid, I don't really miss the twist-reducing groove.