Play in handle on tyrnos reels

Started by Hypo069, April 25, 2014, 04:50:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hypo069

Hey guys

Awesome site, I recently acquired 2 tyrnos reels, 30 single speed and 20II speed.

While in the process of spooling the reels I noticed that they both had play in the handle wish was quite a shock considering shimano are such a top notch company.

I pulled the 30 single speed apart and turned over the drive shaft bush (810) so it sat flush against the right side seal (811) and that has sorted the problem out.

My question now is how to make a similar fix on the 20II speed?

I have looked at the schematics and I am a little puzzled on how I can make this work.

Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers

Scott

alantani

shim washers help.  usually it's more trouble than it's worth.   i use teflon sheets that are 0.005 to 0.010 inches thick.  they are easy to cut or just punch out. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Hypo069

Hi Alan

Thanks for the reply.

Do all the tyrnos models have this problem or only a certain batch?

Very poor quality control considering they are 300-400 hundred a piece.

I will try the Teflon sheet and let you know I go with it.

Cheers

Scott

Just an update

I was able to remove the play by placing Kevlar tape on the washer that sits under the drive shaft seal (150) and cut it to suit with a Stanley knife though by doing this when I place it in low gear I need to push the pin then slide the tab in manually, small price to pay considering how annoying it is when you have a big Spanish mackerel on and the play in the driveshaft makes it harder to land the fish......pick your game up SHIMANO

Bryan Young

Loosen the screws holding the tab by 1/8 of a turn and try.  If still tight, loosen 1/8 of a turn on each screw and retry.  This is common with all shimano 2 speed reels that use these two plastic parts in the shifting area.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Hypo069

Thanks for the advice mate, I try that when I get home from work.

Hypo069

Thanks Bryan, I backed the screws off a little bit and works fine.

Cheers