PG545 Reel/rod clamp posts -->How remove?

Started by Wildman, April 14, 2014, 11:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildman

How does one (safely) remove the reel/rod clamp posts?  They are a bit too close together to fit on some of my rods...

Thank you!
JC

Shark Hunter

I don't own any pro gears, but the frame looks similar to accurate or Tiburon. You will need to remove the studs from the frame.
Life is Good!

Frank

Hopefully they were greased before installed. Are you trying to remove them and they seem frozen?
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Keta

Double nut them, tap with a hammer several times to loosen the oxide then try to turn them out.  If they move put some oil on them and turn them in and out, with more oil on them every time you go in, working them out.  If this does not work heat the studs, tap them several times and try it again.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Wildman

Shark Hunter

Do as Lee said and get some oil in there so you don't strip the holes. Before I assemble a reel or acquire a new one, I always grease the stand screws and clamp studs so this doesn't happen. Good Luck!
Life is Good!

Bobsled 55

Quote from: Wildman on April 15, 2014, 04:25:11 AM
Thank you!

And yes, they seem frozen...

I went through this about 3 weeks ago.  I used a plumber's propane torch to heat up the stud.  While hot, apply wax and let it seep in, tap with a hammer and turn slowly near the base with vise-grips.  Do this about 2 or 3 times or until it comes out.

I found it helpful to mark the stud so you have a reference piont to check if you're making progress turning the stud.

GL