Corrosion Inhibition, Corrosion X vs Grease vs Wax

Started by Prefessa, April 17, 2014, 03:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prefessa

I see Grease is used across the board here for inside Al Side Plates...but

According to Corrosion X...its supposed to molecularly bond to the metal.....

Wax is reccomended for Anodized aluminum spools....

So now I am confused here.

Do I hit the inside of a side plate with corrosion X...then grease?? Or just grease??

And for Anodized aluminum such as the side plates on ambassadeurs...should they get wax?? or a bit of corrosion X.

Most of my reels get cleaned with a mixturre of SaltX @ 42:1 with a tad of Polmolive Free n Clear, rinsed in FW. Then corrosion X on occasion.

Shark Hunter

I use wax on the outside of the spool. Penn Blue Grease on the inside. I only use reel X on the bearings.
For gears on the inside, Grease for sure. I know corrosion x is some great stuff, but you really need grease inside, especially if your gears are steel, like most of my Senators. ;)
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Wax on the spool as grease and oils tend to wick and stick to the line and may degrade mono depending on the lubricants you use.  Besides I don't think fish like the smell.  On other parts I use a light coat of grease on all internal parts applied with a toothbrush and wipe off excess grease.  Spool bearings are cleaned and lubed with tsi301.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Prefessa

Thanks Guys....any suggestion for the outside?? For example....Grease inside an anodized aluminum sideplate....but what about the Outside? That gets the majority of salt spray and bait slime, or in my case Clams n Squid offal.

I am wondering if Wax applied at intervals may help??

Back in the day.....there was a shop in Florida that would take a new SW Fly Reel and apply T9 Boushield to it before spooling with backing and flyline. I dont think that that is currently the best product but...I see his logic is much like the folks here....Preservice!!

Bryan Young

I usually don't use anything because there is usually a thin layer of grease from handling during servicing the reel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D