SL20SH Anti Reverse

Started by SoCalAngler, April 18, 2014, 03:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

I picked up a SL20SH that had only been fished one time, the price was so good I couldn't pass it up.

I opened it up to do a normal pre-fishing service and I noticed the anti reverse ratchet looks to be missing one tooth or notch. It does not look like the tooth broke, rather it looks like the ratchet was designed this way or the punch making the ratchet had issues.

I don't think a tech at Daiwa would of missed seeing this when the reel was built as it stands out. Also, the ratchet its self looks to be pressed this way with smooth edges, not with a smashed or cracked off tooth.

I looked at the schematic here http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/daiwa/Daiwa_SL20SH.pdf  and it kind of looks like the ratchet does indeed have a missing tooth in its design.

Does anyone know if this is how the ratchet is meant to be, missing one notch?

Edit: What is the easiest way to get the handle side beauty ring off? I had to loosen the clutch lever so I could move it far enough away from the frame to slide the ring off.

skrilla

The missing tooth is by design all my 20's are like that. I've always wondered that too. My guess is either cost savings or a safety gap to allow extra time for the pawl to engage in the event you hook into a fast one.

I remove the freespool lever to remove the ring, very carefully.  ;)

Bryan Young

It's designed that way and care should be taken in installing the rather. It is designed so that the natural position of the fisherman, the ratchet will engage.  Very ingenious.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D