monster mako from the beach

Started by floating doc, April 19, 2014, 03:26:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

floating doc

805 pounds! Great eating, but it's a shame that they killed it. After listening to the interview, it's possible that the fish might not have been able to be released in good enough condition to survive. After all anything you catch something like this on qualifies as "light tackle" and you know that it's hard to release a fish in good condition if it's not landed quickly.

I'm fishing up there next month with Shark Hunter and family. My friend that I'm going to stay with said that this was one of two makos of this size caught this week.  The other was caught by a cobia fisherman. They run the beaches, often anywhere from a few dozen yards to a mile or so offshore. I wonder if there's anywhere else in the world, other than volcanic islands, where a mako can be caught off the beach.

Here's the link:

http://www.wkrg.com/story/25277798/shark-shakes-up-social-media
Central Florida

Shark Hunter

I have been watching this. That guy is well known in the panhandle. He has won several shark tournaments. He didn't kill it intentionally, He couldn't revive it and it died from the fight. Someone took a picture of it when he stopped to get gas taking it home. I Guess the media tracked him down and he talked. People don't realize the sharks that are in the Gulf. There are no Great Whites, but there are Monster Mako's and Hammerheads lurking closer that you know. ;)
Life is Good!

floating doc

The prospect of having a bait out in an area frequented by mako sharks is really exciting for me. I booked some charters for makos a couple of times when I was racing trotting horses in the northeast. Never even had a pickup.

Another fish from my lifetime list. I know they're rare in the panhandle waters, so for me it's just the idea of them being out there.
Central Florida

dogtagger

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 19, 2014, 05:19:03 AM
People don't realize the sharks that are in the Gulf. There are no Great Whites, but there are Monster Mako's and Hammerheads lurking closer that you know. ;)

It's amazing how far sharks travel, and where they end up. I know the Ocearch project has been controversial, but it's been a real eye opener. There's a white shark that just turned up out in the middle of the GOM this week months after being tagged off Cape Cod. There are some really big sharks cruising the beaches all over the east (and gulf) coast!

OldSchool

Its pretty sad that people need to stay on the down low and keep quiet in case someone is offended and tries to ban the sport. Our rights end where there feelings begin.

fsrmn

13' 7" Hammerhead caught last week by some people I  know at Boca Grande Pass. Tagged and released.
  Full article at www.fishinfranks.com in fishing reports.
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

Shark Hunter

I saw that on sfsc last week. 13'7"! That is a True Giant! ;)
Life is Good!

OldSchool

I'm waiting to hear the day when one of these sharks turns and latches onto someone when there in the water taking there pictures or waist deep sending them on there way. Law of averages almost dictates it.

fsrmn

The sharks are pretty much wore out after the fight. The only time I know of someone getting bit is trying to remove the hook. I have heard of a guy getting bit while releasing a 150lb Tarpon into the surf here. Nasty abrasion.
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.