Penn 113hn Baja Special

Started by Dominick, July 07, 2010, 12:07:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Alan, Anyone:  I purchased a Penn 113hn less than a year ago from Charkbait.  Is there anyway of telling if the reel has the upgrade containing a sixth bearing without taking it apart?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

conchydong

Simplest way is to see if the star is metal or plastic. If it is metal it has the extra bearing. I am pretty sure if you bought it from Charkbait less than a year ago it is the upgraded edition. Charkbait moves alot of inventory and the originals were probably gone long  ago. BTW Its a great reel.

slip tip

I bought a total of 3 of them, all of them the upgraded edition. The "6th" bearing is a real tiny one at the end of the stub shaft.
This is one great reel, a real wolf in sheep's clothing. It's really sad it went the way of the dinosaur..... :(

Regards,
David
If you kill it, grill it!

Dominick

David: You are right.  I used it this Spring down in Los Cabos and was really happy with it.  The fishing was slow but I caught 2 30lb tuna and was happy with its performance.  I will be back down in October and hope to test it on some cows.  Last October I lost a cow but the fish bit on one of the boat's rods and the fish broke off at the hook.  The crew on the boat tie a loop and use a small hook and the fish broke the loop. How do you recommend tying the hook on and still get the small Sardina to swim?  As to your post, which end of the stub shaft is the sixth bearing?  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Quote from: lmdl4law on July 07, 2010, 03:22:38 PM
David: You are right.  I used it this Spring down in Los Cabos and was really happy with it.  The fishing was slow but I caught 2 30lb tuna and was happy with its performance.  I will be back down in October and hope to test it on some cows.  Last October I lost a cow but the fish bit on one of the boat's rods and the fish broke off at the hook.  The crew on the boat tie a loop and use a small hook and the fish broke the loop. How do you recommend tying the hook on and still get the small Sardina to swim?  As to your post, which end of the stub shaft is the sixth bearing?  Dominick
Ringed live bait hook like the one from Owner.  You can tie a solid knot to the ring.  You can also make your own by using stainless and braze or weld them, but ringed hooks are the bomb.  Good luck.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

slip tip

Bryan is right, ringed hooks are the only way to go for live bait, be it 'dines, 'choveys, or squid.....  ;)
The tiny and I mean TINY bearing is on the left side so to speak, at the very end end of the shaft. The shaft will easily pull out of the pinion gear if it doesen't fall out first. The little kob you see at the end.....that's the bearing.
I use the reel mainly for Yo-Yo or mechanical jigging, yet it's just as much at home for throwing iron (thanks to the great free spool) or live bait fishing. I use three different rods for the three reels and it just works out great.
The one thing I did to was change out the stock handle for one of Alan's Kolekar handles. It does make a big difference!

Regards,
David

Dominick

Everone:  Thanks for your replies. 

slip tip

Dominick!  I was wrong about the sixth bearing!..... :o The sixth bearing is part #55B and it's the one that goes under the handle and fits inside the right side plate. So sorry about that!.... :-[

Regards,
David

Dominick

David: I realized that when I looked at the schematic.  I didn't want to say anything bad on an open forum but since you brought it up don't worry about it.  I still don't know if the reel has the sixth washer so I will take it apart and look.  I resisted taking it apart because I only used it once and it free spools pretty good.  In the tutorial Alan does not grease the bearing, but uses Reel X for lubrication.  I wonder if this is still a good idea?  I read where some of the guys said the freewheeling is good for a day and just goes back to regular speed.  Dominick

slip tip

Hi, Dominick! I tried the Extreme Reel + in two of the Baja Specials and a couple of Pro Gears. When first applied, the free spool is beyond ridiculous, but it doesn't seem to maintain it. After a couple of days, even if the reel is just sitting there, the free spool goes back to "normal". So, I've just done the rountine lubrication I normally do; Corroison X in the spool bearings, grease in the main gear and sleeve/handle (6th) bearing and everything is just fine.
If you got the 113HN from Charkbait chances are good it's the newer version. If by chance not, the upgrade kit is available from mysticparts.com if you're interested.
BTW, I checked the drags on one of the Baja Specials on a very accurate scale and it will pull an easy 25 pounds and buttoned down it's 30.5 pounds.
That's more drag than what normal fishing would require, but it's nice to know it's there should the need arise.

Regards,
David

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

alantani

there a small bearing around the drive shaft.  i packed that one with cal's grease because it's inside the main gear.  regarding xtreme reel +, just gave away my last bottle.  i going to try the TSI 301 for a while.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!