Glue for Bakelite...?

Started by Aiala, April 21, 2014, 06:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

Question for the experts: Which (if any) type/brand of glue will successfully bond a chip of Bakelite (if it is Bakelite) back into position on the inside of a side plate? (In my case, it's a Mag Power 980.)

Thank you for any input/advice!  :)

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Irish Jigger

I have had some success on Penn side plates using Araldite "Rapid" two pack epoxy resin.

Aiala

Quote from: Irish Jigger on April 21, 2014, 06:32:10 PM
I have had some success on Penn side plates using Araldite "Rapid" two pack epoxy resin.

Sounds great, but I don't think Araldite is available on this side of the pond. Do you know of an American equivalent?   :)

~A~

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Any two part epoxy should work fine Aiala. I use it for all kinds of things. I usually just buy mine from a hobby store like Hobby Lobby.
I usually go with 10 or 15 minute set.
Life is Good!

alantani

the most incredible stuff i've ever used is loctite depend 330, but it's very expensive. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Aiala

Thanks for the help, gents. I got some Loctite, 'cause that's what my hardware store carried. We'll see what happens; worst case, I blew 5 bucks.  :)

~A~

Aiala

Woohoo! Fixed, shiny, and ready to kick some cast!   ;D

~A~

FatTuna

How does this type of repair hold up? Does it just make more sense to get a new sideplate?

I have a Penn 112 with a nice chip out of it.

Aiala

Quote from: fatstriper on April 30, 2014, 11:44:08 PM
Does it just make more sense to get a new sideplate?

Of course it does; problem is, I scoured the entire planet for months trying to find one. Nada. So, I got hold of some monster epoxy, and did my best. So far, it hums like an Accutron, but the true test will come when I take it fishing this summer.   :)

~A~

P.S. I just checked, and you're in luck: Scott's still has the 112 side plates in stock.