saltist dogs and IAR bearings

Started by Prefessa, April 22, 2014, 05:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prefessa

Guys:

I saw Alans Tutorial on the saltist and saw that at the drag pressures achievable with Carbontex washers the IAR and Dog Fail....

Its this common?? Or Extreme? Pretty much dont cank more than 15-18 # Drag for Cod n Pollack. Is the stock Dog system OK??

Anyone come up with a functional clicking dog??

The design flaw I see is a lack of a retention plate to keep the dog aligned. So in extreme pressure situations it flips off to one side and bends the ears.

From What I surmise...When you go the silent Abu Dog n IAR on SW reels....you really need more than 1....and they need to be synchronized. Like in the Penn Fathom.

Fish-aholic

I'd say 15# is the maximum drag output for the saltist and, IMO, it's drag range is more than ample for Cod and Pollock fishing.

The AR dog is secondary to the IAR bearing, so if the IAR bearing is failing, it's either in need of a good clean, it's over lubricated - or the pressure put directly onto the reel is beyond it's limitations.

I tried adding a spring to the AR dog myself but found it was under too much tension as I could feel every tooth of the ratchet plate it engaged with. I  scrapped the idea because, for my fishing needs, it really wasn't necessary. So far, I've got 5 years of trouble free service from my silver saltist.  ;D 

Prefessa

Fisha holic:

Thanks good to Know....Are u Using the Stock Drags or Carbontex?? The stock drags look like CF...they are very thin, but look like cloth. There not the paper ones Alan showed in his tutorial

Fish-aholic

I had to upgrade to a set of carbontex because I had a early model with the paper washers as stock. The latter saltists have been upgraded to Carbon Fibre (CF) which is the same material as carbontex. I found out with a friends reel because I told him to purchase a set of carbontex expecting his reel to have the same paper washers as mine had, only to later find when the reel was apart that Daiwa had already changed to CF without any announcement. Well, they wouldn't want lots of reels falling on their lap requesting a free drag upgrade would they?  ::) When the carbontex washers & Daiwa's UTD washers were placed side by side, I could not tell them apart - thin with a tight weave - so there's no need to replace the stock ones now.

What I personally do though, is replace the stock fibre washer found below the main gear to a CF one. I have a few spare CF washers from my friends reel as he had no use for them, so I cut to size and replace with the drag now operating with a full CF drag stack.

Edit: added pic

falconer

Actually, you can make a very functional dog spring for first-generation Saltists.  A guy who goes by "Reefman", from New Zealand, put up a service tutorial on "ultimateangling.co.za" website for his customized Saltist 50.  In this tutorial, he showed with several good photos how he installed a spring he made from a Bic ballpoint pen.  I copied his design but made my spring from titanium leader wire, and it works great.  More of a rabbit ear spring than a coil, it keeps just the right amount of pressure to keep the dog in place on the teeth of the anti-reverse ratchet gear.  No noticeable increase in cranking effort and should not induce excessive wear on the dog or the ratchet gear.  Nice, quiet ticking sound as you retrieve.  Here's a link to "Reefman's" tutorial:  http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=1495.0

alantani

you know, it's funny.  he used to log in for a while, then he closed his account.  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!