Tica reel

Started by turboal, July 08, 2010, 12:16:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turboal

Hi all, i am looking at a Tica 30TS dual drag 2 spd. 3.8:1/1.8:1
anybody work on a tica reel ? looks like a Penn Inter.

alantani

i did a quick google search and found several listings.  none of them indicated the type of drag material used.  without verification that the drag material is greased carbon fiber, i would avoid this reel.  you will still probably have to service the bearings.  i'll bet it's similar to the zelina http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=39.0 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ijlal

Hi Alan,

I recently bought a Tica-Team ST-568 reel for my tackle shop that was lying unused with a friend for about 5-6 years. He had bought it then from Malaysia. Here is a picture of the reel:

Guess what I did... I immediately opened it up to take a look  ;D

I was pleasantly surprised to find a greased carbon fiber washer! But it is on the 'wrong' side of the spool. Overall build quality is quite nice. The OD of the drag washer is smaller than the spool diameter, so that is a little trade off in max drag. The reel had 6 BB + 2 AR clucthes.

I shared this because the reel you have discussed above is a more expensive model, so I guess it would be reasonable to believe it should have a carbon fiber drag as well.

Just my two cents...
Ijlal

I live 'fishing'!

alantani

if it was that old, the washer might have been black canvas.  you would be able to tell because canvas would burn and carbon fiber would not. 

awie

Hi alan,
i have the same reel tica st 568.. its quite old already.. recently it broke down and tried to service it myself.. after replacing all bearings except the anti reverse bearing.. the reel looks better.. problem is reeling in it felts really heavy where before this it is really smooth and light.. what could be the reason, can it be the anti reverse bearing.. i notice also the drag lever even if its position at the lowest point the spool still mloves/ rotate.. thanks for the help

regards,
awie

alantani

hard to say.  you're binding up somewhere.  chances are it's gotta come apart again.   :-\