Penn 975 spool stuck to right side

Started by johnachak, April 24, 2014, 01:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnachak

Hi all, I did a couple of searches and I couldn't find anything on this subject. I'm not saying it isn't here somewhere, I'm just saying I couldn't find it. I have a 975 that the spool is stuck in the right side and I have tried PB blaster and wiggling to no avail (So far). Before I break something that doesn't need to be broken, does anyone have any ideas, tips anything?? (Oh yeah, it's mine to fix, not mine).

Tightlines667

You can disengage the reel from gear and see if the pinion spins freely from the spool shaft, you should be able to rotate the spool clockwise.  If not, the pinion could be corroded to the shaft, or the jack assembly is stuck.  In addition to trying to soak it in a penetrating oil or automatic transmission fluid:acetone 50:50 mix, you may want to try to heat it up in hot water, and use 2 flatheads to lever it from oposit sides, seated firmly against the spool shaft.  Don't use too much force.  If these methods don't work, remove the side plate as outlined on the tutorial to try to access the internals.  Hope that helps?  Good luck!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

johnachak

Thank you for your response. The freespool button is frozen solid. Ok, I am an idiot, Here is the condition it is in right now. This is as far as I can break it down now. The spool and pinion are frozen, they do turn in the yoke.

I have sprayed PB blaster liberally on the spool where it is stuck on the pinion and everywhere in that inside plastic plate.

If this doesn't work, after trying some gentle prying and rocking tomorrow, should I just soak the whole side and spool in hot water, then try to pry again?

alantani

penetrating oil and try to gently tap it out.  heat might damage the side plate. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Bearing in mind, that you may have to waste the pinion gear eventually...cheapest part.

If it were my job -- this is what I would try:

Generally the pinion corrodes to the spool shaft when left in gear and water has seeped in and the reel just stored away without servicing -- plus it also corrodes to the spools rectangular shoulder -- so it is sometimes tough to get separated.

Apply penetrating oil with a micro needle applicator from the topside -- keep applying off and on over a 24 hour period-- patience, let it have a chance to soak in liberally.

Using a pair of vise grips -- the jaws lined with soft wood like ice cream sticks around the pinion -- clamp firmly, but back off before distorting the gear.

Lightly start to tap on the spool shaft with a wooden mallet, while holding the vise grips firmly.  The spool at this point may just pop out fairly easily, so have a big towel under it so as to not damage the spool.

Otherwise, a Dremel will cut through the pinion -- clean up the shaft with a fine file & "0000" steel wool -- replace the pinion, and your ready to go.

This has been my experience 90% of the time -- but there are always odd exceptions.

Good luck!

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

johnachak

Quote from: alantani on April 24, 2014, 11:55:57 PM
penetrating oil and try to gently tap it out.  heat might damage the side plate. 

Thanks!

johnachak

Quote from: foakes on April 25, 2014, 12:16:07 AM
Bearing in mind, that you may have to waste the pinion gear eventually...cheapest part.

If it were my job -- this is what I would try:

Generally the pinion corrodes to the spool shaft when left in gear and water has seeped in and the reel just stored away without servicing -- plus it also corrodes to the spools rectangular shoulder -- so it is sometimes tough to get separated.

Apply penetrating oil with a micro needle applicator from the topside -- keep applying off and on over a 24 hour period-- patience, let it have a chance to soak in liberally.

Using a pair of vise grips -- the jaws lined with soft wood like ice cream sticks around the pinion -- clamp firmly, but back off before distorting the gear.

Lightly start to tap on the spool shaft with a wooden mallet, while holding the vise grips firmly.  The spool at this point may just pop out fairly easily, so have a big towel under it so as to not damage the spool.

Otherwise, a Dremel will cut through the pinion -- clean up the shaft with a fine file & "0000" steel wool -- replace the pinion, and your ready to go.

This has been my experience 90% of the time -- but there are always odd exceptions.

Good luck!

Best,

Fred

Wow, thanks gentlemen. Fred, thanks for the elaboration too.
John

johnachak

It worked!, I used the penetrating oil twice a day for 3 days, I tried tapping and pulling each day. Today, I finally wrapped the pinion gear in the blue mechanic paper towel and used a pliers. It came loose. To add insult to injury, the spool bearing was stuck inside the plastic plate too. It wiggled free. Much to my surprise, the outside of the bearing had corrosion on it but the insides were fine. I re-oiled it and it spins great. I have to get those pliers tips from Amazon. The teeth of the pliers and the pinion cut through the paper. I have super slight score marks on the pinion. I'll try to Dremel those away. I have the superfine diamond bits if need be. 
Thanks again for all the tips. I would be lost without your help. Have an excellent day!
John

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

RUSTY OLD COLT

GO TO HOME DEPOT THEY SELL A RUBBERIZED PAINT YOU CAN DIP TOOL HANDLES IN  ((ITS OVER BY THE ELECTRICAL SECTION ) JUST DIP THE JAWS IN AND YOU WILL BE FINE . EVENTUALLY IT CRACKS OFF AND YOU JUST PEEL IT OFF AND DIP IT AGAIN.

johnachak

Excellent ideas gentlemen. I think I'll order the pliers cushion tips and the dip for coating a cheapo pliers I have. I had been thinking about getting it for a while.
Thanks again all,
John