Hollow Core as a connecting sleeve

Started by Prefessa, April 24, 2014, 01:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

if i may call it a debate, there's one result that will happen. We can all learn from one another... ;) :)

Keta

Quote from: ML B on April 24, 2014, 05:21:26 PM
please correct me if i'm wrong. "keep constant pressure on the hollow core to prevent it from sliding upward" isn't the effect this "secure the line" ??? ??? ???

It works like a Chinese finger trap.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

maxpowers

Quote from: ML B on April 24, 2014, 04:59:39 PM
Quote from: SoCalAngler on April 24, 2014, 04:55:49 PM
A sleeve may make a bump on the line but it is not a knot.

i agree but the effect is the same a bump on the line. same as a knot producing a bump/hump on the line...

Actually, the nail knot is so small and tight that you would be hard press to feel it sliding through the guides.  On the mono insertion with the nail knots, if you pre-tensioned the mono, the nail knots would actually take the diameter of the mono back to its unstretched diameter.

maxpowers

Quote from: ML B on April 24, 2014, 05:21:26 PM
Quote from: maxpowers on April 24, 2014, 04:51:30 PM
The knots or serve are use not to secure the line but to keep constant pressure on the hollow core to prevent it from sliding upward and defeating the Chinese finger cuff effect.  You can have a true knotless if you are willing to insert 10 feet or more of solid or mono into the hollow and inline splice the hollow to hollow.  I still would do some kind of knot or serve though just to keep things tidy.

please correct me if i'm wrong. "keep constant pressure on the hollow core to prevent it from sliding upward" isn't the effect this "secure the line" ??? ??? ???

The knot knots do not actually secure the mono to the hollowcore since the mono will distort and reduced its diameter when stretched.  The actual holding power is the Chinese fingercuff effect between the mono and the hollowcore.  The nail knots only come into play when the line is allow to relax which we do not want the hollow sleeve to starting bunching up and cause the mono to slip.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: maxpowers on April 24, 2014, 05:35:04 PM
Actually, the nail knot is so small and tight that you would be hard press to feel it sliding through the guides.

when you're in the fight of your life against a fish, i doubt that you would even notice anything around you. :)

Keta

I notice knots bumping into my guides and it always worries me that it might cause my line to break.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain