Hollow Core as a connecting sleeve

Started by Prefessa, April 24, 2014, 01:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prefessa

Guys:

I generally fish a 300 yd fill of Braid with a 60 ft topshot so the braid gets wet casting jigs in 300ft of water.

From the Charkbait site I see that the chinese finger trap of hollow core works with braid and mono. Could you just use a 10-12 ft piece of hollow core as a splicing sleeve so that all you have is a served trap ir SATO sleeve on each end??

Anyone do this....Its not a connection that is for a on the water prep....but with 65# Braid and a 50# Topshot I have never has the braid break before the mono. 65# PP really breaks about 80#...AND 50# TRILENE BG breaks around 70..

Just think that the knotless connection would fly through the guides easy.

Also for served sleeves...what is generally used?? Dental floss?/ Fly tying Thread?/ Light Mono?? Light Braid??

Right know I keep it simple and use an albright.

Normslanding

There are a lot of ways to connect hollow to solid Spectra. Most use a 3 ft insertion of the solid into the hollow. Then a serve, over hand knot, Nub, uni, crimp, etc. to stop the solid from sliding out. Look on Bloody Decks, 976Tuna, etc. lots of info for "connecting solid to hollow".

maxpowers

look a few posts below.  I post a tutorial on how to do it.

Bryan Young

I thread the solid core into the hollow core and break through the side of the hollow and start serving upward 1/2 in. or so then continue threading downwards 1 in. or more and finish.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Gerry Brown  just slips 3'-4' of solid into the hollow and then ties an overhand knot where the solid enters the Hollow Spectra.  I make a 3"-4" loop, slip it into the hollow until the knot is 1" in and then serve between the knot and the end of the hollow.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

I maybe wrong again but there's no such thing as a knot less connection. most professionals i've seen on youtube use the nail knot as the serve. and the SATO sleeve which is basically a crimp produces a bump on the line, same as a knot. same thing... :)

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Prefessa on April 24, 2014, 01:35:44 PM
Guys:

From the Charkbait site I see that the chinese finger trap of hollow core works with braid and mono. Could you just use a 10-12 ft piece of hollow core as a splicing sleeve so that all you have is a served trap ir SATO sleeve on each end??

Anyone do this....Its not a connection that is for a on the water prep....but with 65# Braid and a 50# Topshot I have never has the braid break before the mono. 65# PP really breaks about 80#...AND 50# TRILENE BG breaks around 70..

Just think that the knotless connection would fly through the guides easy.

Also for served sleeves...what is generally used?? Dental floss?/ Fly tying Thread?/ Light Mono?? Light Braid??

Right know I keep it simple and use an albright.

I'd go with a longer piece of hollow on top of the solid. If you insert 3-4' for your mono/fluoro that only leaves a few topshot changes before you need to replace the hollow section. Maybe something like 20 yards or more would be nice.

This type of connection is used very much here on the left coast.

You could use dental floss but most use 30-50lb spectra. You will see many tackle shops sell small spools of the lighter spectra just for this reason.

Keta

Quote from: ML B on April 24, 2014, 04:38:59 PM
I maybe wrong again but there's no such thing as a knot less connection. most professionals i've seen on youtube use the nail knot as the serve. and the SATO sleeve which is basically a crimp produces a bump on the line, same as a knot. same thing... :)

Technically you right, even the L2L is a square knot.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

maxpowers

The knots or serve are use not to secure the line but to keep constant pressure on the hollow core to prevent it from sliding upward and defeating the Chinese finger cuff effect.  You can have a true knotless if you are willing to insert 10 feet or more of solid or mono into the hollow and inline splice the hollow to hollow.  I still would do some kind of knot or serve though just to keep things tidy.

SoCalAngler

The only knotless convections I know of is when you make a loop in hollow, do a inline splice of solid to hollow or hollow to hollow.

A sleeve may make a bump on the line but it is not a knot.

Edit: You could just dab some glue where the mono is inserted into the spectra and that would be knotless also but I'd feel safer with a more secure stopper, serve,crimp or knot.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: SoCalAngler on April 24, 2014, 04:55:49 PM
A sleeve may make a bump on the line but it is not a knot.

i agree but the effect is the same a bump on the line. same as a knot producing a bump/hump on the line...

SoCalAngler

Not really the sleaves themself are cone shaped and the crimping tool crimps as a cone. You crimp one side flip tool and crimp the other side to get the cone shape. You will feel a tick on the line as the crimp goes through the guides but nothing as pronounced as a knot.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

ok let's call it a cone same thing for me anyway...

SoCalAngler

We can agree to disagree with no hard feelings here.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: maxpowers on April 24, 2014, 04:51:30 PM
The knots or serve are use not to secure the line but to keep constant pressure on the hollow core to prevent it from sliding upward and defeating the Chinese finger cuff effect.  You can have a true knotless if you are willing to insert 10 feet or more of solid or mono into the hollow and inline splice the hollow to hollow.  I still would do some kind of knot or serve though just to keep things tidy.

please correct me if i'm wrong. "keep constant pressure on the hollow core to prevent it from sliding upward" isn't the effect this "secure the line" ??? ??? ???