Nice Red Snappers

Started by Newell Nut, April 24, 2014, 11:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

It was a beautiful day on the water and I managed to land 4 really large red snappers and got pics of a couple. Caught two smaller ones in the ten lb range but all had to go back due to the closed season. The 7 stack drag in the Newell 631 worked perfect and only allowed a few 4 ft slips that I winched right back. I was trying to catch a big AJ by floating a live bait about half way down and the big red snappers were swimming up and slamming my baits.

DaBigOno

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Keta

The season on red snackers is closed now?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

doradoben

Nice fish, and you have a deckhand today that smiles. :)

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Cone

Nice snapper! Here in the gulf they are endangered but you can't hardly catch anything else.  ???  Lee, the gulf season starts May 24th in the gulf. In the atlantic State waters are open year round. The federal season is to be announced in the south Atlantic. it will be 11 days here in the gulf. If you are fishing in federal waters they are closed. If you are on a boat with a federal reef permit they may not harvest snapper in state waters when the federal season is closed. Nice and clear, huh. ???   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Keta

Bring a lawyer when you fish.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Quote from: Keta on April 25, 2014, 03:43:26 AM
Bring a lawyer when you fish.
Lee there is a difference.  The problem it seems is when you drink tequila you end up with a cat instead.   :D ;D :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Nice Snapper Dwight! That Water looks like Glass behind You! Keep Living the Dream Brother! ;D
Life is Good!

Newell Nut

Quote from: Keta on April 25, 2014, 02:16:52 AM
The season on red snackers is closed now?
Lee
This closure has been going on for somewhere around 5 years. Two years ago they gave us two 3 day weekends. Last year they gave us one 3 day weekend. Currently they have only met and approved the 11 day season in the gulf federal waters and 52 days in the gulf state waters. Bag limit is two per day.

They have not met on the Atlantic season for this year yet. I am on the FWC mailing list so I will get minutes from the meetings the afternoon after any meeting. See the link.
http://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/FLFFWCC/bulletins/b1a5af

Cone

Actually, The Feds have not approved of the State seasons. Several states have gone non compliant in state waters with the Federal seasons. Some states like Alabama are hurt by the extremely short seasons because their state waters only extend 3 miles instead of 9 miles in Florida.
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Keta

Keep a close watch on comfish as they recover.

Mark Twain

MFB

Nice fish, we are coming to the end of our "season" as it's Autumn now water temp has dropped to around 17 degrees Celsius. Spiny dogfish & carpet sharks have come in now.

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Newell Nut

We are lucky enough to have a very long season and August is usually the month to avoid. Fall fishing is really good.

erikpowell

Wow, those are good looking snappers Dwight. very nice!