600h spool removal..stuck

Started by joe k, April 25, 2014, 04:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe k

Hello there ..new to site ..im sure it will be informative in the future 4 me.. for now I have a 600h that I can't seem to get the spool off the handle or right side plate..they all come off easily on all my other sea lines....don't want to put to much pressure trying to pull out of housing...any suggestions would be helpful..thanks joe

Porthos

Trying to form the right picture here...so after removing all of the screws that attach the handle side-plate, when you pull the plate away from the frame, the spool shaft is still stuck to the plate assembly?

That would mean your spool shaft is rusted to the pinion or bearing and it won't slide off... ???

joe k

It could be.i just cleaned and lubed lasy july...used in Alaska 4 1 week of halibut fishing rinsing everyday..brought back home put in rack..and this is what I get...it is taken apart like u said..spool will move in and out nd wiggle around but wont come out...guess I will try a little pb blast and see what happens..let you know..joe

Porthos

If possible, detach the gear assembly from the plate. Pull the main gear off, and see if you can get the spool and the pinion without needing to remove the e-clips holding the yoke to the shafts on the bridge plate.

Hopeful this gets you to the point where you are dealing with just the spool and the pinion without any of the other parts getting in the way.

joe k

have to leave 4 a little while will try when I return...will post..thanks again ..joe

joe k

bearing is froze on spool shaft....what know without damage...to get bearing off..couldn't leave it...had to try your suggestion..have side plate off..everything else still together..

joe k

Porthos

Ok, now that the issue has been pinpointed, though I have not had this issue with any of my three 600H's, here's what "I" might have attempted:

1. attach gear assembly back on to side plate (assuming the handle and star are off...leave these two off)
2. attach side plate with spool back onto frame
3. remove left side plate
4. take two pieces of similar thickness pieces of wood and sit the exposed left side of the frame on top of the wood so that IF the spool was free, it would drop in BETWEEN the wood supports; the wood would need to elevate the reel so that the exposed left spool shaft has clearance
5. with the handle side facing up, remove casting control cap
6. with the cap off, you have access to that side of the bearing
7. use WD-40 or equivalent to soak the right-side bearing and stuck spool shaft (maybe overnight?)
8. get an appropriate-sized metal punch, place on exposed spool shaft nub, and gently tap with rubber mallet...

How much rust was there?

Irish Jigger

Grip the pinion in a bench vice,tighten until you hear a sharp crack.
Pinion in pieces. ;)
Clean spindle and order a new pinion.
Give it the AT treatment and go fishing.

joe k

very very minimal...just at point on shaft where bearing was stuck...sprayed with pb blast ..let soak a little...there was enough room on shaft where bearing was stuck ..I was able to put socket on bearing and tap forward a little and then move back with 2 screwdrivers ..tap back alittle with socket again and then freed up and removed bearing ..bearing was still useable believe it or not...back together working perfect..