older smooooothies

Started by joe k, April 26, 2014, 01:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe k

hello there..just servicing my penn 920 and found 4 packages of smooooth drag  smoooothies #140...blue top pink insert with reel sizes...3 gray on one side ..seems to be white with writing on the other side ..and one black washer..should I use cals on or not..pkg says no grease necessary..and if the black washer goes under main gear..it is quite larger in diameter than original..still ok to use ..or is it 4 different application...ill wait to hear back b4 reassembling...Joe

akfish

You don't want to use any grease -- not even Cal's-- on the older Smooth Drag washers. And frankly, it it was me, I wouldn't use them at all. Carbontex is much, much better. And fishing is just too important to use less than the very best.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

joe k

got it...hate to just discard them...did pay 4 them...they where just sitting in bottom of drawer a few years...what about that oversize black washer that came with them..whats your thoughts on them..looked way to big in my opinion..

Irish Jigger

I hardly think so.
Send them to harryk3616,a member here.
I'm sure he would appreciate them.

Dawn

The gray/white ones are okay.  The black base washer should be ok if it doesn't interfere with the dog.

Dawn