Drag Washers for Okuma Catalina CT-25CS

Started by Ellis Feibush, July 09, 2010, 02:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ellis Feibush

Would anyone have any experience with an Okuma Catalina CT-25CS? It's an inexpensive reel with many stainless steel parts, made far too well for the type of drag washers that come as OEM. Talked to Dawn at Smooth Drag. She was helpful but apparently the drag washer's strange sizes aren't part of her regular inventory. Any help greatly appreciated.

Bryan Young

I'm sure you can use HT100s.  Check http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21.0

I replaced my CT-30s with HT100s, but had to bend the eared metal washers down so that the eared metal washer engages with the gear.  I'm not sure if it's the same size.  Note that the washers does not need to be an exact fit.  The one under the gear needs to have an ID as close to the OD of the gear sleeve though.

Good luck.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ellis Feibush

Thanks Bryan for that suggestion. I think somewhere Alan made up a chart of the various HT-100 washer sizes. Do you recall the full part Nos. for your washers? I suspect the CT-25 uses the same size as the Ct-30. Thanks again for your help.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Ellis Feibush on July 10, 2010, 10:07:34 AM
Thanks Bryan for that suggestion. I think somewhere Alan made up a chart of the various HT-100 washer sizes. Do you recall the full part Nos. for your washers? I suspect the CT-25 uses the same size as the Ct-30. Thanks again for your help.

Ellis, look under the "General Maintenance Tips" then "Ordering Reel Parts" tab on the home page and you will see Alan's list of "penn ht-100 washer dimensions".  Good luck!

Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Bryan Young

Sorry Ellis, I was at Alan's house when I was doing my 4 reels.  I just replaced the washers without doing any service on my reels, so I need to open them up.  I plan to do this tonight, and will give you the dimensions so that you can match it up with Alan's chart...hmm, I left the calipers at work...It will have to wait until Monday then.
Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

nice reel!  i put one of these together and took it on a long range trip.  an older gentleman came on board with only heavy gear, so i loaned the catalina and a cedros rod.  he fell in love with it, so i just gave it to him.  be careful when you grease the threads of the side plate screws.  the threads are very fine and they are easy to strip.  alan

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ellis Feibush

Quote from: norcal pescador on July 10, 2010, 01:42:52 PM

Ellis, look under the "General Maintenance Tips" then "Ordering Reel Parts" tab on the home page and you will see Alan's list of "penn ht-100 washer dimensions".  Good luck!

Rob

Ellis Feibush

No wonder everyone loves you so much. No one here in the East gives away to old men (especially old men) any great fishing tackle like you Alan. Got any old Penn International  50s you don't want?  PLaning on a Tuna trip out of San Diego soon. Just kidding. I have become one of your website groupies. Much to learn about servicing and improving reels. I friend of mine, a professional Fishing Reel Tech who has been in the business too long, terms reel repair as " a mindless task". Well, he has to repair reels that we have to class as "battered hardware" used and abused like you can't believe. I'm sure you've seen  some equipment like this. In my experience, even some of the most poorly designed reels, when maintained properly, can be functional, not great, but functional. These types of reels need much service on a regular basis. Tight lines and keep up the great work for those of us that love this "mindless work"!

Ellis Feibush

Thanks Norcal. Will go to Alan's Penn washer chart. That should get me started improving this excellent little reel.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Ellis Feibush on July 11, 2010, 03:27:41 PM
Thanks Norcal. Will go to Alan's Penn washer chart. That should get me started improving this excellent little reel.
Aloha Ellis,

Did you get the sizes of the washers?

Bryan

Ellis Feibush

Yes I did Bryon. They're not exact as you mentioned but close enough. Great little reel. Will try to add the new HT 100s. Just bought a Torium 16. Great little reel for Stripers and Bluefish. Also received the drop in a/r pawl and spring upgrade shown in Alan's article. Of course, I also received the Carbontex washers from Dawn. Haven't opened it up yet. Too busy. I have a Torium 20 and upgraded that reel the same way. It's much smoother and I hope, the a/r is more dependable. It seems that with many of the Shimano reels, the spring type of a/r pawl seems to be a weakness and eventually causes problems. In terms of lubricating the drag stack, here in the East, we tend to apply a light and very even coat of Cal's to the metal washers rather than the Carbontex fiber washers. I started doing that to some of my Penn reels and it worked out very well. Thanks again Bryon for your help. Smooth drags and tight lines...