Tiagra A and older non A version difference?

Started by madday, April 30, 2014, 09:14:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madday

What is the difference? Besides handle and clickered drag lever....  ???
Is the part interchangeable?
Is there any thread about this?

I got a good deal on older Tiagra 80W, the shop couldn't sell it for long time already, so I am planning to swap the handle with the A version... Wonder if it will fit?  ???
big THANKS!

Tightlines667

The handle should fit since it's the same drive shaft, gears, and 2-speed mech.  I think other then the anodizing, cooling shield?(depending in year?), and spool cap(maybe?) everything should be the same and interchangeable.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

erikpowell

I'd agree with John, in my experience.
You'll find different part #'s for the bearings in the model change, but they are all still the same size.
I like the older bearings better anyway. I'd say you're set bro. Especially if the reel is new in the box!  8) ...Seize it!

I try not to buy Shimano's own replacement bearings anymore. Maybe it's only ShimanoOz, but all the replacement Tiagra bearings now all have pressed in shields...spool bearings included... I've never received an unshielded "ARB" bearing as a replacement from them.
Smoothdrag or Boca for bearings.

As for the handle, you could simply drill out the old grip and bolt in one of Alan's new 5/0 delrin ones...  8)
Far better custom option that will last forever...and same or cheaper than a new handle assembly from Shimano..their handle blank is unchanged from new to old.
I guarantee you, the tiny screws that hold the nameplate in the new shimano handle will disappear one at a time, and the plate will fall off by the end of your first season of solid fishing anyway.  ;D

Cheers man...go buy that old Tiagra

Tightlines667

I use unshielded ARBs too..expensive bearings though, and when they go...they go.  You have to be careful with some aftermarkets though.  Some Chinese manufactured bearings are reported as having the same measurements, but actually have slightly larger OD and smaller ID.  I've been thinking of trying some ceramic ABEC 7 orange seal bearings in the spool (but remove seals).

Like these for the 30

http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inventory/19457/fishing-reel-bearings/ceramic-orange-seal-abec-7/shimano-tiagra-30-wlrs-spool-conventional

And
ABEC 5 Ceramics (w/seals removed and replaced with orange rubber ones) for the pinion and side plate.

http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inventory/19458/fishing-reel-bearings/ceramic-lightning-abec-5/shimano-tiagra-30-wlrs-spool-conventional

Though for longevity, probably be better with quality SS throughout.

Don't get me wrong though, the shimanos are quality and precision.  I just don't like seeing customers burn through them annually, under heavy use, at high cost.
Hope springs eternal

erikpowell

Bula John,
Do you get those ARB's when you order replacement bearings from Shimano USA?
I ask because I've never seen an open ARB as a spare part from ShimanoAu..
Shimano here seems to substitute older part numbers all the time.
I order TGT, I get TTO or vise versa..same size, different bearings...nowadays always plain stamped in shields..   ??? ???
I don't get to order from Shimano USA anymore.

Tightlines667

Yes, though I typically order them wholesale through a local aftermarket distributor.  I'm hesitant to maintain a decent sized inventory (though I go through a lot of 80 and 130 Tiagras), because I'm hoping I can find a better (more cost effective, and wear resistant) option.  Most customers request their reels be maintained to 'stock' with all factory authorized parts and lubes.   Many times aftermarket options, and some slight deviations from stock are warranted.  I feel better about maintaining an inventory of replacement Penn bearings (mostly price related).

I agree w/the handle thing.

I like the simple, rugged AT design.  Though It'd be nice if they could be serviced like the 130 int handles, so you can breath new life into an old corroded handle.  I wonder how Allen's look after 6-10 years of heavy use and abuse? 
Hope springs eternal

madday

unfortunately, i lost the deal....  :-[
next time, surely i will grab it... :D

but keep the discussion coming guys, its nice to know how others are tricking out or abuse their tiagra....  ;D