Knife photos?

Started by basto, May 01, 2014, 05:52:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

I dont know much about knives, steel grade, etc, etc.

but I know I needed two knives, a cheap one for cut bait on the beach or boat and another and better one for the boat, cut bait and blood catches

at the top there is a really nice, cheap and sharp knife with plastic sleeve to avoid any accident, it cost $2.00 so I have 5 of them.

at the bottom there is a "Marines" knife, nice steel, pretty sharp and with a survival kit and compas on the handle.

The Baja Guy

Tiddlerbasher

Hi Guys 2 more of my 'creations'
Both blades are 6" Sandvik Swedish stainless steel 19C27 core with 45 layers of stainless damascus steel hardened to HRC60. Upper part of blade is traditional Japanese hand hammered "Tsuchime" which helps separate food when cut (apparently :-\). The blades were made by bladesmith Hiro san in Seki, Japan.
1 is handled in Wa shaped curly birch (masur birch). The other is spalted beech both have horn ferrules.

Dominick

I love Damascus steel.  They sure are beauties.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tightlines667

Here is an el cheapo Japanese sashimi knife I picked up today for $15.  Not sure if it will hold an edge long term, but for $15 its worth a shot. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tiddlerbasher

I love the look of damascus steel too Dominick but still prefer the cutting edge of high carbon steel like Shirogami Hagane (I beive it means Hitachi White Steel)

foakes

Found a bucket of old pocket knives I forgot about or misplaced when cleaning the shop.

These sell pretty well at shows -- but the old switchblade is illegal to sell, I think.  My Mother in Law bought it when she was in Italy around 40 years ago.

One of the knives is an old Case XX -- and the walk and snap is as good as when new, like most old Cases.

I thought I might carry it for awhile since I just like the feel, crisp snap, and the good, thick backbone of the blade.

So in cleaning and refurbishing, I noticed the Case emblem is missing.

Does anyone know where and how I might get an emblem?

Thanks in advance...

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mike1010

Fred, a switchblade-carrying mother in law?  Sounds like a punchline.  I'll let you know as soon as I think of the joke to go with it. :D

--Mike

Dominick

Fred is she Siciliana?  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

No, Dominick --

She is second generation Swiss-Italian on her Father's side.  He was born in Northern Italy.

She passed on 3 years ago at 93.

School Teacher who raised two daughters single-handed -- who both also became teachers.

I have a lot of respect for her.

I think she just bought the switchblade as a kind of a lark.

Blade reads "Rizzuto Estileto, Milano" -- then also reads Stainless Steel.

Good letter opener.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

My condolences she sounds like she was a fine person.   Cool knife.  The bolster (guard) automatically positions itself when the knife opens.  Dominick