photo of the month

Started by alantani, July 11, 2010, 06:55:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

Wow, nice fish Randy, 2nd in the jp too. 800lb bluefin in September, cow yellowfin in October, what's on the agenda for November? Truly fish of a lifetime. Did you get a jacket? Way to go!  Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

broadway

Congratulations on a fine catch, Randy! You're our resident tuna slayer!
You sure know how to bring home the bacon... or tuna. ;)
Your passion for everything fishing is contagious, thanks for the motivation.
Stay fishy,
Dom

Alto Mare

Living it up Randy...very nice. Congratulations!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: basto on October 25, 2016, 07:47:40 PM

Wow! Great fish. Congratulations. Do you mind if I ask what gear you caught it on?
Basto

Thanks Greg.  It was on the kite rig, which consisted of a very heavy 7' Calstar rail rod (I don't know the blank number), an Accurate ATD80 full of 200 lb. braid, a "double trouble" leader with two live caballitos hanging on 8/0 Trokar circle hooks.  It's not a very fair fight on that gear, but at my age, I need all of the help that I can get.

Randy

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: alantani on October 25, 2016, 08:37:20 PM
probably 130 pound fluoro, 130 pound spectra, an 8/0 ringed circle hook, a mean little caballito for bait, a something 50 two speed reel, and a 130 pound class rail rod.  randy, no belt, right?   ;D

Thanks for posting the photo Alan.  See my reply to Gregg's post above for the gear list.  I was using my Alutecnos belt while the fish was out away from the boat.  I love it because it has a gimbal socket (see photo) so the gimbal never accidentally slips off of the bar, which sometimes happens with the Smitty and Braid belts.  As soon as the fish was under the boat, I just put the butt under my arm, got down on one knee, and let the rail do the work.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: foakes on October 25, 2016, 08:58:46 PM
Beautiful catch, Randy --

Weight?

Best,

Fred

Thanks Fred.  It weighed 214.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Swami805 on October 26, 2016, 12:04:02 AM
Wow, nice fish Randy, 2nd in the jp too. 800lb bluefin in September, cow yellowfin in October, what's on the agenda for November? Truly fish of a lifetime. Did you get a jacket? Way to go!  Sheridan

Thanks Sheridan.  The jacket will be on its way soon. 

I'm afraid that I have used up my big time fishing credit for the rest of the year and won't get another shot at big fish until another Puerto Vallarta trip on the Apollo in January, but I'm looking forward to our rock cod trip together next week.  I hope that you are able to sneak in a trip for something exotic soon.

Randy

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: broadway on October 26, 2016, 12:15:00 AM
Congratulations on a fine catch, Randy! You're our resident tuna slayer!
You sure know how to bring home the bacon... or tuna. ;)
Your passion for everything fishing is contagious, thanks for the motivation.
Stay fishy,
Dom

Thanks Dom.  I wish that I could fish as much as you do.  Prince Edward Island is just a hop, skip and a jump away from NYC, and you need to get up there late next summer.  There is nothing like seeing one of those big bluefin crash a kite bait to get the adrenaline pumping.  I think that you would love it, and Kim would too.

Randy

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 26, 2016, 12:23:01 AM
Living it up Randy...very nice. Congratulations!

Thanks Sal.  At my age, you really need to start working the bucket list, while you still can!

Randy

David Hall

Welcome home Randy and a beauty of a fish.

MarkT

54# Wahoo
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

STRIPER LOU

Awesome Randy! You are definitely on a roll.
.............Lou