Daiwa Emblem Pro 5500

Started by reelnewbie, May 05, 2014, 03:09:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reelnewbie

Hello,
I am trying to put a Daiwa Emblem Pro 5500 back together.
The one glitch I can't seem to get my tiny brain around is how to keep the (key no. 48) anti-reverse cam spring in place.
Thank you in advance for any tips anyone can pass along.

fisher480

It goes with the flat tab up and facing the reel foot. Turn the anti reverse lever so it sitting on a flat surface and it will just stay there. It is a common Daiwa design throughout their spin reels.

reelnewbie

Thanks for the reply.
I tried your suggestion but the spring keeps falling out.
It seems that the A/R lever slides down when the A/R is switched back and forth.
Is there something else that holds the lever in place?

foakes

Hi reelnewbie --

Like fisher480 sez -- it just stays in place -- and it appears that you have it oriented properly -- and the spring appears to be in good shape -- not bent.

By any chance, are you trying it out with the body sideplate removed -- as pictured?

The left side plate has to be carefully installed and screwed in place -- it helps to hold the spring assembly (E32-7801 ANTI-REVERSE CAM SPRING) in place.  There are molded stops inside of the left body plate that must be in place before the assembly will work properly.

Good luck -- let us know if this works or not -- there are no other pieces -- it is fairly simple, and as fisher480 sez -- a common arrangement in a lot of Daiwas.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

reelnewbie

Quote from: foakes on May 06, 2014, 01:09:16 AM
Hi reelnewbie --

Like fisher480 sez -- it just stays in place -- and it appears that you have it oriented properly -- and the spring appears to be in good shape -- not bent.

By any chance, are you trying it out with the body sideplate removed -- as pictured?

The left side plate has to be carefully installed and screwed in place -- it helps to hold the spring assembly (E32-7801 ANTI-REVERSE CAM SPRING) in place.  There are molded stops inside of the left body plate that must be in place before the assembly will work properly.

Good luck -- let us know if this works or not -- there are no other pieces -- it is fairly simple, and as fisher480 sez -- a common arrangement in a lot of Daiwas.

Best,

Fred

Hi Fred,
Thanks for the information and taking the time to reply.
I have tried with the side plate in place holding firmly with my thumb as well screwed back in place.
Both with no luck.
I will have a few more tries (again).

Another question I have is about the spring on the main gear shaft. The ends are different.
How is it supposed to line up when fitting into reel? flat end vs. triangular end?

Thanks in advance!

foakes

Sorry, without having the reel in my hands -- I don't know for sure -- try it both ways...

Here is a schematic -- its a little fuzzy -- and I will check through my Daiwa Factory Service manuals this evening to see if I have a better copy that will give us more information.

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/daiwa/Daiwa_Emblem_Pro_45002C_50002C_5500.pdf

Best Regards,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

reelnewbie

Fred,
Yes, same fuzzy schematic I have been working with. I zoomed in hoping it would shed some light, but it's not clear enough.
I'll just keep trying!

foakes

Hi reelnewbie --

After looking at a factory service manual a little closer -- I was wrong on key part #48 -- the curved part goes into the hole -- with the tab going up towards the reel foot -- and in as far as it will go (just like fisher480 sez)  :-[  -- according to your pic, it is in backwards.

Cant help you much on the anti reverse pawl spring -- but it should be easy enough to figure out with a little trial and error (there are only a couple of ways it can go on the shaft).

Here are some blowups from my viewer -- Good luck with your project.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.