Latest Hassle 7000i Reels

Started by Ken_D, May 05, 2014, 06:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken_D

The designers cheaped out big time on the alloy for the latest 7i driveshafts. In this fishery, it's mostly in-river, from the bank. So the sport uses a hammer (joke) on the drag star to make the most drag possible, when the 25-85+ pound salmon turn broadside to the current and sift their way downstream.

Upon winching the fish back up, and in, tremendous forces are placed on the very long driveshaft, so the conical dimension* on the top exaggerates, and the e-clip digs into the top, causing much wear.  After a season or so, the up and down play becomes most annoying. If the alloy was better, like the
Swedish driveshafts, this would not be a big deal. I see 30 year old SE 7C's and red plain, with zero wear on the driveshafts.  

End of rant, to the solution. So far, I've found a couple of ways to tighten up the  excess clearance. The quickest way is to install either another thin  1116117 shim under the eclip on top, so the driveshaft is spared further humiliation from the friction caused there, or if still too loose, use a Swedish thicker 6969 shim.  Or any combination that takes up the play. 

If shimming proves unsuitable to remove the excess move, then I'll take a file, and remove a smidge of driveshaft, so shims will fit tight.
The bronze shim bearing down on the driveshaft is nowhere near as brutal as a ferrous metal eclip doing the same. Shims are cheap.. about 1.00 USD and adds.

*I wondered about the very wide mouth on top of the driveshaft, so I asked. It's to give as much slop as needed to align the driveshaft into the one way clutch bearing in the crank boss.

basto

Hi Ken
I have read of people using pliers to tighten star drags down. Absolute vandalism!!!
Your post reminded me of a post I just put up in the photos section, (Return to ABU) about the way they held the gear sleeve to the stud on the first 10000c. Very clever.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Tile

Quote from: basto on May 06, 2014, 09:37:20 PM
I have read of people using pliers to tighten star drags down. Absolute vandalism!!!
No wonder why the gearsleeves get so beat up after a season of fishing. You can have a machine shop do a production run of aftermarket gearsleeves in stainless steel for the 7000i reels - a business opportunity by selling them either as parts or upgrade at your service  :) .
In solid fiberglass we trust

Ken_D

Quote from: Tile on May 06, 2014, 11:01:56 PM
No wonder why the gearsleeves get so beat up after a season of fishing. You can have a machine shop do a production run of aftermarket gearsleeves in stainless steel for the 7000i reels - a business opportunity by selling them either as parts or upgrade at your service  :) .

Great thought ! But, I wonder if there's enough parent driveshaft, to bore it bigger, and add a stainless sleeve. Which, I suspect would be not as spendy as a full blown SS shaft. I'm going to ask my guy if he can try that.

Tile

Go for a full stainless steel shaft. The brass shaft if bored bigger for a sleeve will break easily.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Ken_D

Hi Ken
Your post reminded me of a post I just put up in the photos section, (Return to ABU) about the way they held the gear sleeve to the stud on the first 10000c. Very clever.

Nice find !!!  At a good price as well.