Penn Speed Jigging

Started by snowgoose200, May 07, 2014, 04:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowgoose200

i have 2 Penn 149 reels. I am interested in trying out speed jigging. The 149's seem like they would work but the ratio at 2.2 is a bit slow. Could I swap ratios somehow to get the faster? or is this a bad idea completely. I just want to try it out, if it works well I would buy something new(er). The plan is to spool with 50 lb braid and jig in about 100 ft for grouper in the Bahamas.

Bryan Young

You will need at least a 4:1 gear ratio, 5:1 would be better.  You would need to just take shorter strokes on your upswing so you can pick up the line easier.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Irish Jigger

A 112H (4:1) might fit the bill.

conchydong

For Grouper fishing in the Bahamas, you need a reel that can turn them immediately to keep them out of the reef/rocks. Minimum 20 lbs of drag (more is better) unless you want to donate a lot of tackle to the coral reef. Many modern reels at decent price points are available. As Bryan stated, they are also too slow for in general for jigging although for Grouper you need not "speed" jig. Just bouncing the jig off the bottom will get you strikes.

alantani

i'm thinking of a 6/0 senator, black or red. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

basto

Quote from: alantani on May 07, 2014, 09:14:02 PM
I hope he is a very strong man.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

conchydong

Quote from: alantani on May 07, 2014, 09:14:02 PM

While the 6/0's are the classic Grouper bait reel, they are way too slow, bulky and heavy for speed jigging. As Basto stated, you better be very, very, strong. The only Penn Senator that I would even consider would be the Baja or a narrowed high geared "tank".  The Torques or even the Fathoms would be a better choice for a star drag jigging reel in the 25N size.

jonnou

I understand that there is (at least )3 types of jigging
speed
verticle
mechanical
Weight is important in all of these as you use a lot of energy
speed is also important in mechanical and speed jigging
speed gives a mechanical advantage to the fish .
rod needs to be matched to reel for best results.
choose wisely
and carefully
strong drag strong Jig rod strong arms
Good luck

(small high performance lever drag 2speed if your budget can stretch and remember the ratio is relative to the spool diameter)