113HN eccentric install

Started by floating doc, May 09, 2014, 08:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

floating doc

I can't get the darn springs in place! Any suggestions?
Central Florida

Keta

Have the spring in place under the eccentric with the eccentric lever in place.  Lift the end of the spring with a pair of needle nose pillars and pry in into place with a small screwdriver.  I usually can get them in place with just the screwdriver though.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

floating doc

Quote from: Keta on May 09, 2014, 08:48:10 PM
Have the spring in place under the eccentric with the eccentric lever in place.  Lift the end of the spring with a pair of needle nose pillars and pry in into place with a small screwdriver.  I usually can get them in place with just the screwdriver though.

Thanks for the reply, Lee. I had wondered about trying what you're describing. If I understand, I get the eccentric in place with the springs under it, and no tension on the springs since they're not in place on the side plate. The eccentric lever then is attached to keep the eccentric from popping up out of the side plate while I place the springs in their seats.

Correct?
Central Florida

Keta

Yes.  Be carefull you don't over bend the spring.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

I think you guys are talking about different springs.
Life is Good!

Keta

20-155  Eccentric spring

Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

The Blue arrow or the red arrow Doc? I noticed you said springs.

Life is Good!

Keta

The red ones (18-60 clutch springs) fall into place.

Mark Twain

floating doc

Eccentric springs, blue arrow.  Keta (once again) bailed me out. This worked,  after I flipped over the eccentric, then got the lever on correctly. Only three tries!  That's good for me.

I'm hoping that the rest goes smoothly.  I have to get all of the other parts in place, luckily I have Alan's tutorial.
Central Florida

bluefish69

Doc

After I don't know how many Newell Reels that I have worked on I put the Eccentric Spring in backwards. Then I went crazy for a week till I looked at another reel. I used words that the 12 Yr old rule won't allow.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Shark Hunter

Lee said he just used a screwdriver. That doesn't work well for me. I bolt the eccentric down, lift up the spring with a pic, then latch onto it with the needlenose and put it where it goes!
Life is Good!

Keta

I have been able to get them with just a screw driver most of the time, sometimes it takes both.

Mark Twain

floating doc

Central Florida

skneip49

The reel pictured in reply #6 is not a113HN. Baja Special requires two eccentric springs. Looks like PN 20-267.

Quote from: Shark Hunter on May 10, 2014, 03:59:50 AM
The Blue arrow or the red arrow Doc? I noticed you said springs.

Shark Hunter

That reel is a stainless sleeved, double dogged 12/0. 116L
I just used the picture for reference. ;)
Life is Good!