Newbie Here From Winchester, Virginia

Started by DCrosen, May 09, 2014, 06:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCrosen

Hi ya'll. This is a huge and very informative web site. Thank you Alan for all you have to done to start it and keep it running. Hopefully I can navigate it, I have not been on too many boards and don't understand how to do everything or what some of the terms mean. I probably don't how to post a pic for example and don't know what I sticky thread is.  Hopefully if I have trouble someone will help me. Anyway, I used to fish a little years ago, but not as much as I liked and was really busy helping my grandmother and restoring my 79 International Scout II. My aunt has two big fishing ponds that have some big fish in them and only family can fish there so I have a great place to go free and there are rivers and lakes around here. I wanted to get back into fishing big and learn how to fish all the different baits and learn how to use bait casters. Well I was a mechanic by trade and like to tear things apart and figure out they work. I wanted to learn how to repair my own reels and rods. I have been reading articles and talking to another gentlemen who works on reels for a living then I found out about this site. There is an unlimited amount of information on here and is the best web site for repairing reels and also includes other topics on fishing. I have done searches on the web and found a lot of info and videos from reputable people and companies like Shimano that I will watch just to see what they say. Sometimes a video helps you understand a little better, although Alan's and the other articles I have read on here are informative and easy to understand with great pics. I have started fooling around with my reels and I have bought some broken reels on ebay that I would like to fix and re sell. I hope to maybe repair reels and rods and also make custom rods in the future. I think it is great that Alan and everyone else on here take the time to teach others how to do things and their tricks. I don't know how Alan does it and works on reels too. Alan have you ever done any videos? I have always found that figuring out what is wrong with something and repairing it is easier if you understand how it works and what each part does. It would be nice if someone would post schematics for each style of reel and describe what each part does. I know it would take a lot of time, but it would help me and I am sure other newbies as well. I have decided to do some more work to my Scout and that will come first for now, but I will continue to learn and hopefully have some time to repair reels and go fishing if I am prepared. Well I wrote a lot. I look forward to getting to know everyone on here.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

DCrosen

Thanks ML B. Alan, my registration went through easy other than the welcome message ended up in my spam folder.

Bryan Young

Aloha and Welcome.

Alan has been talking about making videos. He is a great teacher one-on-one, and actually one-on-twenty or so.  You should have seen him when he does these fishing repair seminars.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

welcome!  yeah, got a ways to go before i start doing videos.  it's a pretty big production.  right now i'd be happy to just whittle down that line of reel waiting to be serviced!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Aiala

Hi, DC. I used to live on a farm in Middleburg, not far from Winchester, and you're right, there are some HUGE largemouth in those private ponds! I used to catch and release them all the time... lots of fun, especially on a fly rod. Welcome!   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

harryk3616

hi    dc     welcome, a ton of info, just for the asking

foakes

Welcome, DC!

Do you still have your International Scout? -- those are tough vehicles -- sorry they are not made anymore.

I restored an old '66 Bronco when I was younger, then had a '75 Bronco, then a 91, and finally a '94 Bronco.  Put 294,000 on the '94 -- tried to sell it on Craigslist for $1500 -- no takers.  Re-listed the next week under the heading "M12000 Warn Winch, used 5 times -- comes with a free 94 Ford Bronco to get the winch home with -- clear title $1500 cash)  -- sold it in 3 hours to the first person who called -- he was a Serviceman stationed in Iraq -- sent in his Dad with 15 brand new Benjamins.  Email is great.

For me, Alan's site is the most informative, civil, pleasant, and the folks on here really know their stuff about any aspect of fishing tackle. 

Other sites are fine for what they do -- but for me, this site stands above most of the others.

Learn how to post pics (its easy) so everyone can see what you have to offer -- or ask about.

All the Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

DaBigOno

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

DCrosen

Thanks everybody. Yes I still have my Scout and a couple of spares. It's my pride and joy. It was pretty nice the way it was, but decided to do some more work to it. It will be as completely rust proof as I can make it and will not see rain unless by accident. It will be kept inside. Have had some health problems which has held up my progress, so trying to get back on it. I'll post a pic with me and it.