Pigtail Swivel, Snaps

Started by OldSchool, May 10, 2014, 03:52:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Ahab

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 12, 2014, 05:37:33 PM
Thanks.  I like that Tactical Anglers ones.  I think I need to use these very soon.

I will send you some to try

lawaia

Quote from: TechTeach2530 on May 11, 2014, 05:06:48 PM
We have actually had the opposite results. When we rig for sharks, some threshers and makos in excess of 500-900lbs, we have had the coast lock style open up on us. We rig a barrel swivel on the end of the mainline to 6-8 ft of 400+ longline mono crimped to a curly tail swivel the to 5-8 ft of wire twisted to the hook. This allows for the changeout of the wire when releasing small sharks and never had one open up.

It's all we use now.

The pictured pigtail swivel has been made locally here in Hawaii for over four decades and we've used them on everything from 200+ pound tuna to 600+ pound marlin and also have never had one fail.  Most people use a long enough leader between the pigtail at the end of the mainline and the hook that there is no chance of damage to the fish from the pigtail and even if there were, any scratches to its sides would not keep it from becoming dinner anyway. ;D

kalenao

iawai, Do you know what size wire was used and the size and make of the ball bearing swivel.  I am planning to make a bunch for my cousin here on Kauai and I would like to use the best components possible.  Don't want to lose any of the 100 to 200 lb Ahi's that are still running hear.
<*))))>< Life is What You Make It

lawaia

Quote from: kalenao on June 27, 2014, 10:45:23 PM
iawai, Do you know what size wire was used and the size and make of the ball bearing swivel.  I am planning to make a bunch for my cousin here on Kauai and I would like to use the best components possible.  Don't want to lose any of the 100 to 200 lb Ahi's that are still running hear.

kalenao - Those pigtail swivels are so durable that I just buy a few of them already made and use them for a long time; they're not that expensive.  Unless you make a jig for a template it's not easy to make them yourself and have them be uniformly the same.  That being said, more power to you if you're talented and determined enough to make your own.  The swivels are Sampo brand ball bearing swivels with solid rings on both ends, size 6 (300 lb test) or size 8 (500 lb test) - see here.  The wire looks to be 1/16 inch diameter stainless, similar to this, but since I don't make them I cannot say for sure.  Good luck, go hanapa'a the big one!

SteveA

Lawaia is right, you need a jig to make these swivels. Otherwise you will waste a lot of wire trying to make the shape uniform. The ball bearing swivels are Sampos. The wire is most likely Malin Stainless steel wire. Probably #28 or #30. Swanee Kumano used to make the pigtails and snaps here in Honolulu. I think Swanee called the ball bearing snap swivels French Clips. These were strong too. We caught a 600 lb. plus Black Marlin trolling using one of his French Clip swivels. You need to use the Malin type wire since because it is stiff. The stainless steel welding wire does not have the temper to make swivels - the wire bends easily.
If you are making the swivels, practice makes perfect. The more you make the better they will turn out.

lawaia

Swanee was The Man and made these pigtail swivels out of his shop on the corner of Kapahulu and Campbell for over 40 years until he sold the business sometime in the 2000's, before his passing in 2010 at age 87.  He also did magnificent rod wrapping and I was fortunate to have him wrap my outriggers back in 1999 - and he threw in a bunch of those pigtail swivels too!  He was truly an old style craftsman who took pride in his work.

kalenao

thanks lawai and steve for the input.  I have been making ulua style pigtails for many years and also the corkscrew pigtails for the boat rigs.  i am now getting back into the swiing of making them because some of the store suppliers are not making them anymore. 

the sampo #5 and #6 i heard are the only ones made in the usa and is perfered by most boates which cost $4.00 and up each and the wire that lihue fishing supply wants me to make them with is malin #27.   i prefer to use 3/32 s/s rods and maybe #8 and #10 sampo swivels.  i believe this could hold a 1,000 marlin and 200 lb ahi.  i have used the china made swivels but they was reported to rust faster than the sampo ones. 

i also started to make the hawaiian style one-way swievels which are less troublesome than the aussie type.

thanks again for your inputs
<*))))>< Life is What You Make It

Tightlines667

These pigtail style swivels are very popular here in HI, both with the shore slid bait crowd, and offshore trollers.  They have their advantages.  A friend of mine tested several different snap swivel types by different manufacturers a few years back on a load bearing machine that he had access to.  The results surprised me.  Almost all swivels failed well below (30-60%) the manufacturer advertised ratings.  These particular style swivels actually consistently faired the worse in his tests.  The heavier duty swivels typically failed/broke/straightened the furthest below rated specs as well.  The 2 piece, non ball bearing swivels were the strongest, with the sampo heavy duty taking a close second.  Overall the best performing snap-swivel combo was the high end AFTCO snaps w/ Sampo swivels.  I use these exclusively in heavy duty trolling apps now.  I wish I had photos and a summary of test results to post since these were interesting findings.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.