Pigtail Swivel, Snaps

Started by OldSchool, May 10, 2014, 03:52:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSchool

Curious if anyone has tried or uses the pigtail swivels or swirl connection swivel, alternatively out of coast-lock snaps or duosnaps which one is more reliable. Curious to know which is most reliable quick change lure connection without knots and without split ring to swivel.

Three se7ens

Quote from: OldSchool on May 10, 2014, 03:52:14 AM
Curious if anyone has tried or uses the pigtail swivels or swirl connection swivel, alternatively out of coast-lock snaps or duosnaps which one is more reliable. Curious to know which is most reliable quick change lure connection without knots and without split ring to swivel.

Duosnaps are the only ones I've broken. Twice I have broken an 85 lb duosnap at 25 lbs of drag. I switched to the 110 lb duosnaps and haven't had an issue yet.  I've stretched the swivels straight on numerous coastlocks, but have yet to see one let go.

Capt Ahab

i use tactical clips (or similar) Far superior to the clips and never opens up like they do

Always remove the split ring

locknut

Stay well away from the pigtail swivels. Some of the guys here in NZ tried them for Marlin lure connections and they were nothing but trouble. Don't know how but after a tangle with a  Striped Marlin the buggers would come back half undone how the leader got halfway down the pigtail I don not know. They are also prone to damaging  fish in that when the connection rubs down the fish the sharp start of the pigtail can scratch badly. The Coastlock type if snap is far superior.

whalebreath

Yes I wouldn't use Pigtails for powerful brawlers like Marlin & large Tuna.

They are OK for light & medium duty bottom fishing where action can be fast & furious and you need to change gear quickly.

TechTeach

We have actually had the opposite results. When we rig for sharks, some threshers and makos in excess of 500-900lbs, we have had the coast lock style open up on us. We rig a barrel swivel on the end of the mainline to 6-8 ft of 400+ longline mono crimped to a curly tail swivel the to 5-8 ft of wire twisted to the hook. This allows for the changeout of the wire when releasing small sharks and never had one open up.

It's all we use now.
"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

Makule

Where are these available?

Quote from: Capt Ahab on May 10, 2014, 09:31:17 AM
i use tactical clips (or similar) Far superior to the clips and never opens up like they do

I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Capt Ahab

Quote from: Makule on May 12, 2014, 12:40:45 AM

Online and most tackle stores - been using them for about the past 10 years for striper fishing - they are quick change for lures

whalebreath

Quote from: TechTeach2530 on May 11, 2014, 05:06:48 PM
We have actually had the opposite results.....It's all we use now.
Could you share your source?

The ones I have available here ain't much and what I see online is worse.

TIA

TechTeach

Quote from: whalebreath on May 12, 2014, 03:29:25 AM
Quote from: TechTeach2530 on May 11, 2014, 05:06:48 PM
We have actually had the opposite results.....It's all we use now.
Could you share your source?

The ones I have available here ain't much and what I see online is worse.

TIA

I believe these are them.

http://www.amazon.com/450lb-Grade-Corkscrew-Bearing-Swivel/dp/B0048NWFT4

"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

Bryan Young

Quote from: Capt Ahab on May 12, 2014, 01:45:33 AM
Quote from: Makule on May 12, 2014, 12:40:45 AM

Online and most tackle stores - been using them for about the past 10 years for striper fishing - they are quick change for lures
Capt, this is the first time I've seen these.   The are not available here or in Hawaii.   Who makes them?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Thanks.  I like that Tactical Anglers ones.  I think I need to use these very soon.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

OldSchool

I've never seen those tactical clips before and its amazing when you get into it the variety of clips/snaps that are out there but im yet to find one style that has only positive reviews. Personally I have used the coast-locks and haven't had a problem so i think ill just stick with that. All styles seem to have good and bad reviews.

bluefish69

I'm not sure but try  Shark River Mail Order   ---   srmo.com   they might be cheaper then Tackle Direct. They are both in N.J.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.