Penn 505 505hs gear drag stack configuration issues

Started by stevennc, May 12, 2014, 08:03:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevennc

I bought a used 505hs and swaped it into an accurate frame. I put a newer set of drags and metal washers in it and found that they sit far bellow the lip or outer edge of the main gear. Even the cupped newell style bellvelle washer sits inside the gear. I am used to the last metal washer sitting flush in 500s and then having a spring on top. This does not seem right to me. It actually looks like a 4th ht100 could be added with another metal washer. I am also having binding in the handle when the drag is in the higher range the binding goes away when the drag is backed off almost completely. Sometimes it binds sometimes not. Backing it all the way off and on again can cause it to bind sometimes it is fine.

Any input on fine tuning these would be much appreciated.

bluefish69

If you have the room for the 2 washers do it. Most guys that fix Newell's toss the bevell washer & install a 18-505 washer.

Mike

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Ron Jones

The 5:1 gears are deeper than the 4:1s. Unfortunately they are brass and are not recommended for a 5+1 stack even though it fits. Bryan has tore up a set of gears by doing this. If you need more material to compress the drag, use a longer spacer sleeve.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

stevennc

Im starting to think the problem has nothing to do with the drag stack tension washers or spacing sleeve. I tried a bunch of different combinations. I think it may be the pinion gear yoke or springs. I may just order a SS yoke new springs and pinion and see how that does.,